cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need solution for $30K credit card debt in multiple cards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need solution for $30K credit card debt in multiple cards.

Hi,

I am having a slightly less than $30K credit card debt accross 4 different cards with APR (Two18%, 16%, & 0% until the next 8 months). I would like to take a major step to finish this nightmare. What are the steps that I can take to pay off my debts? Do "loans", "peer to peer", etc really help? or should I transfer balance to another 0% APR cards? Will all these hurt my credit score?

Thanks.

J.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
digitek
Established Contributor

Re: Need solution for $30K credit card debt in multiple cards.

Hi jay,

A $30k credit card debt is pretty substantial.  Whether you do debt consolidation, a balance transfer, or bankruptcy I can assure you that a very strict budget will be a good starting place.  It can feel good to get it all down on paper and having a plan to follow.

I don't have much advice beyond that, other people might have more experience, but I just wanted to say I have a lot of respect for you for trying to take on that debt and asking for help, and to start with a very strict budget.

You can do it, others on here have come back from worse!

Message 2 of 26
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Could you list your cards, including the bank, current balance, limit, and APR? That will help people here know whether you're in a postion to apply for a loan or another card — or a at least to let you know which balances you should attack first or which banks might be more tolerant of long paydowns.

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many unsecured loans will be over 18%.  Do you own a home that could qualify for a Heloc?  Anything of value you can sell?  

What is your income and list of expenses.  This may be a long paydown

Message 4 of 26
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Certainly doable on most any income of say 50k+.... Will it hurt if you are a lower earner YEP.  Nothing is tangible is free in life and gotta be paid now or later.  Best of luck to you and I am sure others will offer some good advice if you are willing to listen and answer their questions.  Depending on income is whether another job is in order such as uber driving at night and the amount of cuts you need to pay it down all the quicker.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

Here are the credit card breakdowns:
- BOA Visa $6,500 (APR 18%-limit $7,300)
- BOA Visa $9,500 (APR 18%-limit $13,000)
- BOA Visa $6,500 (APR 17%-limit $6,100)
- Citi Master Card $5,000 (0% until next 8 month-limit $5,300)

My salary is $75K (single income) and my total monthly expense is about $3k ($800 mortgage, $300 HOA, $1,000 children tuition, etc) .

Thank you.

J.

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am baffled that you have 3 bank of americards

Anyway...

3k expense on 6k monthly income?  We get you paid off in nine months (pay your minimum payments every month except for where noted to pay more)

3000 IS JUST A ROUNDED FIGURE, MAKE SURE TO MAKE ALL FOUR CARDS MINIMUM PAYMENTS IN THE MEANTIME!!!!

I am aware some interest will accrue.  We dont care about that right now.  We also do not get any new credit or charge anything else to the cards.  You are not to use these cards for nine months, put them in the safe or something.  I am serious.  The last thing you want to do is apply for more credit and dig your hole deeper.

The name of the game, since you have a good solid income, is to pay off what you owe, right here right meow.

Start with the card thats overlimit, hit that with 3k out the gate.  First month

BOA Visa $6,500 (APR 18%-limit $7,300)
- BOA Visa $3,500 (APR 17%-limit $6,100) <------------------------------- pay 3k here
- Citi Master Card $5,000 (0% until next 8 month-limit $5,300)

Then hit the lowest balance card, the citi card, and get that under 40% util next month.  Second month.

- BOA Visa $3,500 (APR 17%-limit $6,100)
- Citi Master Card $2,000 (0% until next 8 month-limit $5,300) <---- pay 3k here

Then, attack the highest balance card with three payments over three months and drop it to 500.  Third Fourth and Fifth month

- BOA Visa $500 (APR 18%-limit $13,000) <----- pay 3k here 3 times
- Citi Master Card $2,000 (0% until next 8 month-limit $5,300)

Repeat last step with the next highest balance (two payments)   Sixth and Seventh month

BOA Visa $500 (APR 18%-limit $7,300) <-- pay 3k here twice
- BOA Visa $500 (APR 18%-limit $13,000)
- Citi Master Card $2,000 (0% until next 8 month-limit $5,300)

Note you can alternate the above two cards and pay one back and forth, the object is to pay them both in five months/five payments.

Then go back and hit the Citi card and finish it (since you have 1000 left over, take out the remaining balance on the first card, and the odd 500 on the third, leave the 500 on the highest limit, youll see why in a minute)

Eighth month

BOA Visa $0 (APR 18%-limit $7,300)
- BOA Visa $3,500 (APR 17%-limit $6,100)  <---- pay 3000 here
- Citi Master Card $0 (0% until next 8 month-limit $5,300)

You are at nine months now, hit the last BoA card with your last 3k and youre done. (or once and carry a 500 AZEO balance)

BOA Visa $0 (APR 18%-limit $7,300)  <---- pay 500 here
- BOA Visa $0(APR 17%-limit $6,100) <--- pay 500 here
- Citi Master Card $0 (0% until next 8 month-limit $5,300)  <---- pay 2000 here

You want to keep a small balance on your highest limit card (All Zero Except One), to maximize your score.  500/13000 is well below 10 percent, so feel free to leave this balance (minimum payments only) on there for as long as you wish, make sure you dont late payment it.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you find you have more expenses than the 3k quoted, adjust your payments accordingly but use the same strategy.  It will take longer the less you can put up a month, but you will dig out of the hole, I promise you.

Message 8 of 26
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you find you have more expenses than the 3k quoted, adjust your payments accordingly but use the same strategy.  It will take longer the less you can put up a month, but you will dig out of the hole, I promise you.

Double dittos!

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 9 of 26
blondy250
Established Contributor

There is no way a person making 75,000 a year takes home 6K a month. After taxes maybe 4K a month, OP please share your monthly take home if possible, other then that the previous payoff suggestions hold a lot of merit.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.