Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing help with Equifax -- removing paid collection from report

uritel
Established Member

Needing help with Equifax -- removing paid collection from report

Hello everyone!

I browsed through search and didn't find a specific answer for what I was looking for.. I got bits and pieces, but just wanted some clarification, and maybe some tips of advice.

My TransUnion and my Experian credit reports have nothing negative on them, but I discovered that my Equifax file had something on it.  It had been a few years since I had pulled my credit reports so I quickly researched into it, validated that it was in fact something I owed, and promptly paid it.  Perhaps that was my initial mistake.  Essentially what happened was that I had an emergency hospital visit, in which I signed off and paid a certain amount when I left the facility.  They were given my name, address, and my cell phone number during my stay there (was around two to three hours.)  I never heard anything further from them, so I thought nothing of it.  This all happened back in 2006.  I just found out about it less than a month ago, and like I said, I promptly paid for it.  While I was on the phone with the credit agency (Suburban Credit Corporation), I asked them why I was never informed about it until now.  The operator said that "numerous" letters were sent to the address that I had on file (which I had moved out of, but I didn't do that until 2008).. I told him I never received any of those letters, and then asked why I never got a phone call.  He said that they made a phone call once in 2007, and I asked him if they had left a voicemail since I never saw the call, and they said they had no record of if they left a voicemail or not.  I asked them if it's standard practice for them to only make one phone call in four years and not leave a voicemail, he didn't have a response to that.

Anyhow, as I said, I paid this in full and then promptly disputed with Equifax saying that it's been paid, but that it should not be on my credit report because I had not been made aware of the collection until just recently, and had I known previously, I would have paid for it.  They reviewed it, but chose not to remove it from my credit file because they had been given "more information" from Suburban Credit that was adverse to my claim.  I disputed again, they wrote back verifying that it was mine, and didn't really say anything else on it.  It said that if I have further inquiries to contact Suburban Credit.. but I don't know if that's going to do anything since I didn't write them a letter initially saying "I will pay for this if it is removed from my credit report", etc.

Anyhow, any advice on what I should do?  Should I contact Suburban Credit, and if so, what should I write?  Or should I call up and speak with Equifax over the phone and try to dispute it that way, or just send in a letter to Equifax to be placed on my file so that anyone who pulls my credit report can see that I have disputed it, but to no avail?

The reason I'm trying to get this resolved is because I'm looking to purchase a house next year, and I want everything cleaned up.  I wanted to pull three clean reports and take them to get an estimate (without them pulling a hard inquiry) for a mortgage.

My TransUnion FICO is 716, my Experian FAKO (through FreeCreditReport) is 776, and my Equifax FICO is 674.

Cliffnotes:

* Just found out recently that I had a collection with Equifax, promptly paid it

* Tried to dispute collection with Equifax saying that I wasn't aware of the collection, paid for it when I found out about it, want it removed from report

* Was denied having it deleted, twice

* At a loss what to do now, not sure if I should contact the collection agency that issued the collection

* Looking for help.  Smiley Happy

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Needing help with Equifax -- removing paid collection from report

Once you pay the debt, that is prima facie evidence of your acceptance of the debt.  You then no longer have debt reported in your CR, just the derogs, such as the CA, that preceded the payment.

Payment of debt is never, in and of itself, grounds for any removal if prior derogs.  CRA deletion must normally come from a request by the CA, who is the party that reported it.

I dont think that Eq is the party to deal with now.  You need a GW deletion from the CA, with their reporting of the deletion to the CRA.

Yes, you must, in my opinion, go through the CA.

Message 2 of 4
uritel
Established Member

Yeah, that's what I figured/was worried about.

I'm guessing it's best to send in a letter and not call, right?  I saw a good will pre-written letter around here somewhere, I'll look for that and modify it to this circumstance.

Thanks for the help, I've been struggling with this and just wanted confirmation on what to do.

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@uritel wrote:

Hello everyone!

I browsed through search and didn't find a specific answer for what I was looking for.. I got bits and pieces, but just wanted some clarification, and maybe some tips of advice.

My TransUnion and my Experian credit reports have nothing negative on them, but I discovered that my Equifax file had something on it.  It had been a few years since I had pulled my credit reports so I quickly researched into it, validated that it was in fact something I owed, and promptly paid it.  Perhaps that was my initial mistake.  Essentially what happened was that I had an emergency hospital visit, in which I signed off and paid a certain amount when I left the facility.  They were given my name, address, and my cell phone number during my stay there (was around two to three hours.)  I never heard anything further from them, so I thought nothing of it.  This all happened back in 2006.  I just found out about it less than a month ago, and like I said, I promptly paid for it.  While I was on the phone with the credit agency (Suburban Credit Corporation), I asked them why I was never informed about it until now.  The operator said that "numerous" letters were sent to the address that I had on file (which I had moved out of, but I didn't do that until 2008).. I told him I never received any of those letters, and then asked why I never got a phone call.  He said that they made a phone call once in 2007, and I asked him if they had left a voicemail since I never saw the call, and they said they had no record of if they left a voicemail or not.  I asked them if it's standard practice for them to only make one phone call in four years and not leave a voicemail, he didn't have a response to that.

Anyhow, as I said, I paid this in full and then promptly disputed with Equifax saying that it's been paid, but that it should not be on my credit report because I had not been made aware of the collection until just recently, and had I known previously, I would have paid for it.  They reviewed it, but chose not to remove it from my credit file because they had been given "more information" from Suburban Credit that was adverse to my claim.  I disputed again, they wrote back verifying that it was mine, and didn't really say anything else on it.  It said that if I have further inquiries to contact Suburban Credit.. but I don't know if that's going to do anything since I didn't write them a letter initially saying "I will pay for this if it is removed from my credit report", etc.

Anyhow, any advice on what I should do?  Should I contact Suburban Credit, and if so, what should I write?  Or should I call up and speak with Equifax over the phone and try to dispute it that way, or just send in a letter to Equifax to be placed on my file so that anyone who pulls my credit report can see that I have disputed it, but to no avail?

The reason I'm trying to get this resolved is because I'm looking to purchase a house next year, and I want everything cleaned up.  I wanted to pull three clean reports and take them to get an estimate (without them pulling a hard inquiry) for a mortgage.

My TransUnion FICO is 716, my Experian FAKO (through FreeCreditReport) is 776, and my Equifax FICO is 674.

Cliffnotes:

* Just found out recently that I had a collection with Equifax, promptly paid it

* Tried to dispute collection with Equifax saying that I wasn't aware of the collection, paid for it when I found out about it, want it removed from report

* Was denied having it deleted, twice

* At a loss what to do now, not sure if I should contact the collection agency that issued the collection

* Looking for help.  Smiley Happy

Thank you!

First, I would stop disputing.  The fact that you paid is not a reason for a dispute.  Further disputing can lead to worse things happening.

Since it is paid, about all you can do now is start sending GW letters to the CA reporting.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.