Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New with questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New with questions

I've done a lot of searching and have to admit I'm quite overwhelmed right now.

In March 2005 my credit score was a measly 500. I paid off a lot of debt - some collections, some cc's, etc. About $6000 worth.

I got a car loan and have not had one late payment on it.

I paid off my undergraduate student loans this April (still show on my credit report with the balance, though).

My questions:
1. How long will it take for the student loan to show as paid? Will this help or hurt?
2. I had never heard of a GW letter prior to looking at this board. Is that something I could try with the accounts I paid off back in 2005? Is it something I can only do if there was a proven error, or does my stupidity as a young person count?

I'm glad I found this board. I've been working very hard to increase my credit.

Thanks, in advance, for your help and patience with me as I learn my way around here.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New with questions

Welcome! I assume you have read the Scoring 101 thread?

1. How long will it take for the student loan to show as paid? Will this help or hurt?

Within 30 days. Reporting as paid will probaly have little (if any) impact on your scores.

2. I had never heard of a GW letter prior to looking at this board. Is that something I could try with the accounts I paid off back in 2005? Is it something I can only do if there was a proven error, or does my stupidity as a young person count?

You bet! And stupidity certainly counts. )
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.