Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Bust Out

tag
busted2
New Contributor

Non-Bust Out

Hello all. I am working on a legal document that heavily weighs savings and does not check credit reports and only reviews provided financials, like bank statements.

Probably a bad idea but I want to tap member wisdom: If I suddenly and within the same week deposit CC BT's into my bank account from three three different credit card providers, drive my overall utilization from only 1% to just under 29%- with a total of $25K in BT's- will this look like a bust out when it hits? Once my bank statement posts three months of this added 25K and legal document at issue is processed, I could then pay all BT's back. I never need to remove the deposited BT's from the bank only use them to show a higher savings snapshot then PIF the and eat the BT fees.

Fico's 780 ish. Oldest Account: 20 years. Newest 7 months. Average: 3-5 years. Their is no fraud involved, simply bank statements are the easiest documents to provide. Real estate etc. requires torturous appraisal process. Physical assets same. Correct: My credit is absolutely not going to be reviewed for the legal document. Issue is not killing my credit vs showing an extra $25,000 in savings for three months.

I over prepare hence this hypothetical. Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Re: Non-Bust Out

@busted2 wrote:

Hello all. I am working on a legal document that heavily weighs savings and does not check credit reports and only reviews provided financials, like bank statements.

Probably a bad idea but I want to tap member wisdom: If I suddenly and within the same week deposit CC BT's into my bank account from three three different credit card providers, drive my overall utilization from only 1% to just under 29%- with a total of $25K in BT's- will this look like a bust out when it hits? Once my bank statement posts three months of this added 25K and legal document at issue is processed, I could then pay all BT's back. I never need to remove the deposited BT's from the bank only use them to show a higher savings snapshot then PIF the and eat the BT fees.

Fico's 780 ish. Oldest Account: 20 years. Newest 7 months. Average: 3-5 years. Their is no fraud involved, simply bank statements are the easiest documents to provide. Real estate etc. requires torturous appraisal process. Physical assets same. Correct: My credit is absolutely not going to be reviewed for the legal document. Issue is not killing my credit vs showing an extra $25,000 in savings for three months.

I over prepare hence this hypothetical. Thank you.

Hmmmm....How many total cards do you have?  If you do this, then 3 cards would be reporting balances...How many are reporting now?  How much do you intend to pay back in monthly payments while you're holding onto this cash for 3 months?  You'd want to avoid AA and so depending on the bank, you may need to make significant payments rather than just minimum payments.  Also, what's your spend typically like on the cards you're considering using to do this?  To go from a couple hundred a month to thousands could poke bears you don't want to poke.  In the grand scheme of things, using your credit is fine and using balance transfers are fine, but you just want to make sure you're not triggering any adverse action on your accounts.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be okay with the AA risk -- seems small enough, depending on the lenders.

But it might be simpler to borrow 25K short term from an Amex or Penfed or Prosper/Sofi etc? 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what reason do you need to show a higher balance in deposit accounts? If it's for POI/Mortgage etc. I would assume they might be curious as to where that $$$ came from all of a sudden, and then also wonder where it went to after 3 months?

Message 4 of 7
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd be okay with the AA risk -- seems small enough, depending on the lenders.

But it might be simpler to borrow 25K short term from an Amex or Penfed or Prosper/Sofi etc? 

Prosper typically has an origination fee that might be higher than the CC BT fees. Not sure about the others, but I'd try for zero or minimal origination fees if I were going to do this. OP might be trying to not open a new account or have inquiries so this might be moot.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 5 of 7
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

You sure that BT to a bank account doesn't count as cash advance?

Please call or check the T&S to make sure that it doesn't count as cash advance (which would be your worst nightmare)

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 6 of 7
busted2
New Contributor

I'm not so good with the quote function and I want to thank each of you above as individuals. I am really playing the hypothetical game. No wasting your time though because it is something that I may chance.

I have about 6 open cards of which three I would use. I really never thought about anything but paying minimum payments plus 10% since it is a three month short term objective followed by PIF. I am absolutely sure the BT's are the typical deposit to your bank for a fee (3%) then 0% or 3.99% monthly. And I have a decent account history back many years to decades so I respect all advice and would think my options thru over much of research first. 

Big thanks.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.