Did you mean: 

Old Collection!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Collection!!

Hello guys!!

I was wondering if I could get some advice, 

a few days ago I was contacted by email from a collection agency saying that I owed $400+ from (Verizon). I automatically was skeptical about his because it's been almost 10 years since I had Verizon. So I called the company and they told me that they had recently acquired this account, they proceeded to tell me that Verizon originally sold this collection back in March of 2013 to another agency. 

I told them that I wasn't paying a thing because I don't remember owing this money. 

My worry here is my credit. I haven't seen any collections back then or now, my credit is clean and I've work hard to keep it that way, should I be worried of this appearing on my report? 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks myfico fam!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Old Collection!!

Collections are excluded from your credit report after 7 years plus 180 days from the date of initial delinquency that occured with the original creditor.  That exclusion requirement applies regardless of whether or not the debt is paid.  See FCRA 605(c).

While a debt collector can continue to attempt collection on the debt after that time, it cannot appear in your credit report once more than 7 years plus 180 days has passed since your account that created the debt first became and remains delinquent.  That is not a concern.

The remaining concern is not one of credit reporting or possible score implication, but rather one of whether or not the owner can still file a civil action seeking a court ordered judgment to pay.

You should check the statute of limitations on debt for your state and see if you are still within the SOL for the asserted debt.

If you are clear of both credit report exclusion of any collection and have passed the SOL for your state, the debt collector cannot either post to your credit report or file a civil action seeking a judgment.

You can then safely send them a cease communication notice under FDCPA 805(c), which therafter prevents them from continuing any communications with you regarding the asserted debt.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.