Did you mean: 

Old Inquiries Not Falling off Report

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Old Inquiries Not Falling off Report

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

Removal of inquiries at two years is not a statutory exclusion requirement under the FCRA, and thus any delay in removal does not place the CRA in any violation.  It is purely an internal policy decision of the CRA, and thus they have substantial discretion and latitude in when they get around to removal.

To the extent that an inquiry is considered to be an "adverse item of information," it would not have a required exclusion date until it reaches 7 years.  FCRA 605(a)(5).

So, what you're basically saying is that if they wanted to be a-holes, they could leave it on there for 7 years? I mean, I think a simple phone call and asking nicely would get them to remove it. If it's still there in a few months, then I'll call them back, but until then, I'm not too worried about it.

That's not what Robert is saying. He' saying that removal of inquiries is an internal policy (not legally mandated for the first seven years), so however they decide to do it, that's how it's going to be done for that particular CRA.  Just like so many other things, we're at times at the mercy of CRA whenever there is no legal regulation. 

I would not make any calls as those will be seen as a dispute, and more often than not, when HP is being disputed, fraud gets thrown in there. I'd just wait it out a bit longer. 

Luckily, the other two usually remove them right as they reach two years, so an extra month or so is really not the end of the world. Could be worse. 

With that said, I am afraid to flush the toilet because EX may get a HP. Mine is total carnage and I feel your pain. 

Message 11 of 12
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Re: Old Inquiries Not Falling off Report

@Remedios wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

Removal of inquiries at two years is not a statutory exclusion requirement under the FCRA, and thus any delay in removal does not place the CRA in any violation.  It is purely an internal policy decision of the CRA, and thus they have substantial discretion and latitude in when they get around to removal.

To the extent that an inquiry is considered to be an "adverse item of information," it would not have a required exclusion date until it reaches 7 years.  FCRA 605(a)(5).

So, what you're basically saying is that if they wanted to be a-holes, they could leave it on there for 7 years? I mean, I think a simple phone call and asking nicely would get them to remove it. If it's still there in a few months, then I'll call them back, but until then, I'm not too worried about it.

That's not what Robert is saying. He' saying that removal of inquiries is an internal policy (not legally mandated for the first seven years), so however they decide to do it, that's how it's going to be done for that particular CRA.  Just like so many other things, we're at times at the mercy of CRA whenever there is no legal regulation. 

I would not make any calls as those will be seen as a dispute, and more often than not, when HP is being disputed, fraud gets thrown in there. I'd just wait it out a bit longer. 

Luckily, the other two usually remove them right as they reach two years, so an extra month or so is really not the end of the world. Could be worse. 

With that said, I am afraid to flush the toilet because EX may get a HP. Mine is total carnage and I feel your pain. 

I sometimes have a hard time interpreting Robert's messages LOL. He's like legendary on this forum and I always appreciate when he responds to any of my questions.

Like I said earlier, I'm not too worried about it. It was more curiosity than anything. I have 17 inquiries on EX, but 12 of those will be unscorable by the end of the year. I think I have like 2 or 3 on TU and about 5-6 on EQ. So I totally understand not wanting to flush that toilet! Smiley LOL

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.