Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a Chase Checking Account - Non US Citizen

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opening a Chase Checking Account - Non US Citizen

I have a coupon for $150 for opening a chase checking account setup with direct deposit. There's no Chase branches in my area so I went online to setup an account. On the first page of the application it asks if all applicants are US citizens. I'm a permanent resident but hold British citizenship so I clicked no and it says that non citizen applications cannot be done online and that non residents should apply on the international site.

The thing is i'm not a non resident i'm a permanent resident but not a US citizen. I read the fine print at the bottom to see if they group permanent residents with US citizens but all the fine print says is: "You must be a U.S. citizen with a U.S. postal address and valid Social Security Number to open an account online. Non resident aliens or U.S. citizens residing outside of the U.S. should refer to the International Banking site." I would go to a local branch but living in Massachusetts there is none. Have any permanent residents applied before or does anybody have any suggestions?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opening a Chase Checking Account - Non US Citizen

Sent an email explaining how I live in Massachusetts and so there is no branches near me, and asked if there was a way to apply as a permanent resident I recieved this reply: Dear _________,

Thank you for contacting Chase. My name is _________ and
I will be glad to assist you. We value you as a customer
and want your Chase experience to be easy and satisfying
as possible.

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced
opening your account online, and I understand your
concern.

At this time, to open an account online customer must be a
U.S. citizen. Otherwise, the only way to open an account
is though a Chase branch.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience this may
have caused you.

Please let us know if you have other questions or concerns
and we will be glad to help.

If you have any questions or require further assistance,
please e-mail us or contact our Online Account Opening
Customer Service at 1-800-263-5393.

Thank you,"

It's weird because I've had no problem opening bank accounts online with Ally or Perkstreet. I have a social security number, drivers license and sometimes they've asked for my green card number but surprised that a bank as large as Chase isn't able to process it.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I emailed them back explaining again that I live in Massachusetts and so there isn't a Chase branch in the vicinity. And asked if there was another way to apply as a permanent resident with a green card, social security number and Massachusetts drivers license. And I got this reply: "

"Dear  __________,

Thank you for contacting Chase.

Unfortunately, we are unable to open U.S.-based accounts
online for U.S. citizens who are living outside the U.S.
and its territories.
To receive information on Chase International Banking
Services, please visit chase.com/international. If you
have any questions, please call our International Banking
Department directly at 1-713-262-1679. We?re available to
help you Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT.

I hope that the information provided has been helpful.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you and provide
excellent customer service. Thank you for being our
customer.  Please e-mail us through the Secure Message
Center while you are logged on to chase.com, or call us at
1-800-935-9935, if you have any questions.

Thank you,

I've emailed them again to once again explain that I do infact live in the US but I'm a permanent resident not a US citizen.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I dont know all the statutory requirements, but would suppose that there are federal statutes that require certain information of consumers who are not citizens, and thus may have some presumption of funds originating from outside the US.  In this age of post-911, I would presume that federal controls are fairly strict.

Message 4 of 7
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

I dont know all the statutory requirements, but would suppose that there are federal statutes that require certain information of consumers who are not citizens, and thus may have some presumption of funds originating from outside the US.  In this age of post-911, I would presume that federal controls are fairly strict.

No, I think it must be chase.   I am the same status as the OP (UK national, perm res of US) and there is no problem opening accounts on line with many banks  (I have done this with Everbank, Cap One and TIAA Direct, OP lists others).

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Thanks, you appear to be correct.

I have purused some web sites that offer online application to non-US citizens, so it clearly can be done.

I guess it is more a matter of wishing to see such documents as passport, resident alien registration, etc., than statutory or regulatory requirement.

With federal requirements to report certain transactions, such as deposts in excess of $10K, I presume it is more caution than requirement, ensuring that the account holder has adequate designation should reporting of their activities become necessary.

Message 6 of 7
HiLine
Blogger

Sorry to hear that this happened to you. Perhaps you could make a quick trip to a nearby city to open an account? 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.