Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opted out but still receive certain offers

tag
Cynicalista
Established Member

Opted out but still receive certain offers

I've been working on cleaning up my credit for the past two years, and I'm hoping to apply for a mortgage soon. Over this past summer, I opted out from prescreened offers at outoutprescreen.com  (I chose "Your name will not be eligible for inclusion on lists used for Firm Offers of credit or insurance for five years."  For the most part, I'm not getting offers anymore in the mail, and on one of my credit reports (I forget which one and from what site), it noted that I was opted out.

However, for the past month, I've been receiving offers in the mail from Citi - about 2-3 each week.  And, a couple of days ago, I received one from Discover. Can anyone explain this?  The only credit cards I have are through Capital One - in fact, my car loan is through them.  Also, I don't have any relationship with Citi whatsoever, so I'm confused as to why I'm receiving offers from them all of a sudden.  Thanks for your input!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Opted out but still receive certain offers

A possible answer the credit card company may have gotten the information before you opted out. How long has it been since you opted out.? I know when I opted it took several months before I stopped receiving offers.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Opting out only prevents prospective creditors from obtaining your name from a list requested from the CRAs.

If a prospective creditor obtains your name from other sources, such as information sharing, they can still make offers.

Message 3 of 6
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

Same thing happened to me when I opted out but then I read that if you are using a credit monitoring service, you are opted back in to whatever bureau they use and will still be sent offers. 

Starting Score: 529
Current Score: EQF 643, TU 677 EXP 631,Lender Pulled Aug 2, 2013 EX 665, TU 664 and EQF 643
Goal Score: 701

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I dont know where you read that, but it is directly contrary to the statute, which stiplates that if the consumer has opted out, the CRA is prohibited from including their name in any listing provided to creditors.

Message 5 of 6
Cynicalista
Established Member

Thank you everyone.  I opted out back in August 2013, so I would think that it would have kicked in by now. But it does makes sense that I could be on some other mailing list.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.