Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwhelming Credit issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Overwhelming Credit issue

Hello everybody,

I am new to the forums, but I have been a lurker for awhile. I have gotten myself into some financial hardships and could really use some advise on what I should do to get out. I have around $30,000 in credit card debt and due to a recent job switch I have taken a hefty pay cut. I now make roughly $34,000 a year before taxes. I have monthly expenses of $1,400 that I must pay. I would love to get my credit card debt down and recover from this hardship. I have the debt spread across 8 different credit cards. Currently I am getting by making payments to all my cards and using the cards to pay the bills. This has been creating a cycle where I do not get out of debt and remain exactly where I am from month to month after interest. I have never missed a payment but my scores are low 600s because of my uti. Any advice at all on what I could do would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Overwhelming Credit issue

Certainly much easier said than done, but you're going to have to either raise your income or lower your expenses in order to cut that debt down quicker.

Start with the card with the highest interest rate, then the next highest interest rate card, etc.  What is your aggregate utilization at the moment?  If you can cut that debt in half or so, the second half may be easier as you could possibly scoop up a 0% balance transfer card and move some of the debt over, helping you save on interest.  Your profile/scores are in no position to do that now, though, so you can only chip away at those balances.  As far as raising income, the easiest way is to of course take on a second part time job and use that income completely for debt payoff.  If it's possible for you to do this around your current job I say do it as it's the quickest solution to your problem; depending on the income attained, you could be coming up with another $200-$300 per week pretty easily from a part time job to put toward CC debt.  At that rate, in 1 year you cut your CC debt in half.  As far as lowering expenses, take a look at the things you can do without.  I have no idea what your expenses are, but cutting back things like your cable or phone plans can result in savings.  What about selling any assets?  I have no idea what you spent money on to attain that CC debt, but can you sell any of it?  Not sure what you drive, but perhaps selling your vehicle and taking on a cheaper vehicle.  Just ideas here.  I'm sure others will chime in with great advice.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's another option.  Walk away from all that debt.

I am not encouraging you to do that, but it is an option.  And a person isn't wicked for getting into trouble and utimately having to do that.

One of the things that will play into that decision is whether it is crucial to you to have a spotless credit report in a few years.  If you are willing to talke a credit hit for seven years (possibly ten) -- then you'll save yourself all the money and aggravation of having to suffer for years while you are slowing paying it off.

The worst choice is to stagger under its burden for four years and then eventually be forced to walk away anyway do to a simple inability to pay.  It's the worst choice because you still get a lousy report but now it take 4 + 7 years before it becomes clean.

There are a few different options under Walk Away.  There are a couple different bankruptcy flavors and then there is simply refusing to pay (if you do the latter, be sure you have researched the Statute of Limitations, the likelihood (or unlikelihood) of being taken to court, etc.).  If you decide you want to explore any of those, be sure to find knowledgeable people to help you.

England and America have not had Debtor's Prison for a very long time.  You won't go to jail for walking away from debt and sometimes it's the only realistic option.

Message 3 of 9
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forums!

Sorry it is under these circumstances but many have been in your shoes.

Step 1 is to stop producing more debt. This means find a budget program that works for you. I am a fan of YNAb, some like Dave Ramsey. There are many options. Some free and some for pay. Also get a realistic view of your finances, try the free program undebt.it that allows you to input your debts, interest rates etc and it will show you a payoff time table utilizing a Debt Snowball or Debt Avalanche.

Sometimes it is not great news when confronted with the debt but it may help you decide.

Good luck, you can do this.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It really depends on what sort of time frame you can get this done in.  If you can obtain additional income and/or reduce your expenses, you could tackle this debt in a couple of years which isn't the end of the world.  If you can't obtain additional income or reduce your expenses, you may have no choice but to walk away from it and take the hit that goes along with that. 

Message 5 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Have you contacted the creditors, explained your current situation, and attempted to negotiate a reduced payment plan that would help you avoid any delinquencies while you are in the process of attempting to reduce the debt?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point from Robert above, as this could help you both now and long term.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

and also youi can ask for them to lower your APR

Message 8 of 9
happypill
Valued Contributor

That's definitely a tough situation to be in.  I think the first thing you need to do is sit down and really determin if there is a way you can change your situation.  Is there any way you can cut your budget ($1400 a month defintiely does not sound excessive, but you need to judge for yourself)?  Is there any way for you to make more money, either now or in the future?  If you can either reduce your expenses or increase your income, then  sit down and make a plan and stick to it.

On the other hand, it's possible that you will sit down and determine that there isn't likely to be any change.  In that case, as other have suggested, it might be best to cut bait and start anew.  Again, I'm not advocating for this choice, but if there is no light at the end of the tunnel, it's better to bit the bullet now rather than let it drag on (OK, no more metaphors from me in this post).

I want to share my personal observations and you can draw your own conclusion.   In the 2008-2009 timeframe, I was in grad school.  My credit debt was rising slowly but that was planned I paid for school and was on track to have a huge jump in income upon graduation.  Then, the company I was planning to join went into bankrupcty as part of the financial crisis.  Not only did my job no longer exist, but thousands of other people with my exact skill set were out on the street looking for jobs as well.  I did what I thought made sense at the time, continued looking for work, burned through savings to keep up with credit obligations and was able to do that for several years.  But by 2010, the job market still had not recovered (especially for my line of work) and I had exhausted all my resources.  I had no choice but to let all my accounts go into default.

It was about 2-3 more years before I got full-time work in the field I had studied for and within the first 6 months I settled all my past charge-offs and such and slowly got back on the road to building my credit back.  It was about two more years before I got my first unsecured credit after the crisis ($3k Quicksilver One card from Cap One), and then I found myFICO forums and my rebuild has come along nicely since then.  The last of my baddies are scheduled to fall off in about 6 months (7 years after I had to let them go in 2010) and at that time I'll try my hand at getting back with the last few lenders that I burned.  I've also got plans to buy a house later next year.

So, that's one person's a story of what you might face if you were to try to fight it out.  From 2008-2010 I really struggled to keep up with my cards, and from 2010-2014 I couldn't get a sniff of unsecured credit.  The last years have definitely been on the upswing.

OTOH, I see so many reports of people who file for BK, and within a few weeks or months, are able to get unsecured credit with certain lenders.  It seems like they were able to get back to rebuilding their credit, and while certain lenders will lock you out as long as you have a BK on your record, there are others that will let you back in very soon after.  I sometimes wonder what my rebuild would be like if I had simply went the BK route in 2008-2009 when my job evaporated instead of struggling and sending money in for years only to prolong and possibly make more painful the eventual recovery.  I wonder if I had gone BK in 2009, would I have been in the position I am now 3-4 years ago rather than today?

So again, I'm not advocating for you to do one thing or another, however if you take an honest look at your expenses and income (including possibilies of increasing your income in the future) and do not see a way to pay down your debt, it may be better to (OK, one more metaphor) rip the bandage off all at once rather than go slowly and suffer for years only to eventually run up against the inevitable.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.