cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLOC before Mortgage?

tag
LjHunter

PLOC before Mortgage?

Hey there, I'm Lj. Been loving everyone's advice here, absorbing tons of info, and now for my first post. (Really looking forward to member status for signature!) 

After the last 3 years of finally paying attention to my credit, I've come a long way and am proud of what I've accomplished credit wise, and now I'm looking to buy my first home. I have a good credit mix already but my SO doesn't and so I've been thinking of doing a joint Personal Line of credit, now that we've recently opened a joint savings account at Truist. 

My question is: If I want to start the approval process in say the next 6 months or so, is it a good idea to apply for a PLOC now? My concern is having a new account/new inquiry. But I'd also love the extra cushion of available cash for unexpected expenses. The only significant way I still need to improve my credit report now is my length of credit history. TIA for any advice! 

my generic sig: 

MyFICO Fico 8 - 767 EQ

Vantage 3.0 - 766 TU

Inquiries 4 

Derogatory/Delinquencies 0

1 vehicle loan

1 personal loan (small, my daughter pays) 

Total Cards 6 (2 zero balance)(+5 closed)

Utilization 7%

AAoA 3.6 years 

oldest acct 9 years 

newest acct 1.5 years (5 new accts) 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: PLOC before Mortgage?

If you're looking at qualifying for a mortgage in the next 6 months, I'd recommend against opening any new accounts right now. Adding a new revolving account is going to lower your AAoA. I'd wait until you close on your new home then add a PLOC if you're so inclined.

Message 2 of 16
LjHunter

That's what I'm afraid of. Thank you! I'm not in a rush to buy a house but I'd certainly like to sooner rather than later. 

Message 3 of 16
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

If you were looking at a year+ before the new mortgage, I'd say go for it. Otherwise I'd stay as new account/inquiry free as you can. 

Message 4 of 16
LjHunter

My SO only has a vehicle loan on his credit report (about a year old) and is an authorized user on his parents credit card. So I'm also curious if his credit file is too thin. He's always been a cash only guy till I came along haha. I could definitely wait a year to start the approval proces. So I guess now is it better for him to have next to nothing credit wise or 2 newer accounts. ? 

Message 5 of 16
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

I guess it really depends on what his scores are. Having a car loan for a year is a plus but I'd be curious as to what his scores look like. Having a thin file when it comes to revolving accounts can cause suppressed scores just simply because there's not enough data on his revolving history. This could mean higher interest rates when it comes to mortgage time. 

If anything, I'd leave your credit alone and continue letting it build time... you can always seek out CLIs on your existing cards...

For him I'd look at adding one or two cards (max) of his own over the next six months, keep the reported UTI on one card below 9%. Use the other one as well but keep it reporting at zero. Put the mortgage off for a year to allow both of your credit files to gain time and increased scores. You have pretty good scores already... a year from now you could very well be close to 800 FICO 8s and looking at better interest rates on your mortgage. 

Message 6 of 16
LjHunter

Great advice, I really appreciate it! 

Message 7 of 16
LjHunter

He only has the free Experian app and his score is about 747 last I looked 

Message 8 of 16
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

@LjHunter wrote:

He only has the free Experian app and his score is about 747 last I looked 

You can also get free Equifax FICO 8 here at myFICO in case you didn't know.

Message 9 of 16
LjHunter

Yeah thanks! I just signed up myself a few days ago, will be getting the subscription soon probably too. Getting him to doing anything credit wise is like pulling teeth but I just screenshotted your suggestions to him so he knows it's not just me nagging haha. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.