Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Tax Lien.. Help

tag
alleycat1975
Regular Contributor

Paid Tax Lien.. Help

Didn't get a response to my long winded plea in Mortgages so how about a short and sweet question here:

Got a letter in the mail day before yesterday saying my tax lien was released, wasn't aware I had one.   Its not showing up on my CR's..   When i looked at court websites, it was recorded March 2nd and then release was dated March 15th.   I took the release to the Clerk of courts yesterday morning. 

Now, upon speaking to the attorney to whom filed the lien, the balance was paid in full in Feb.   He said the lien was in process in Jan (would have been nice to mention that to me in Jan when i spoke with them)  but regardless because of slow filing, it didn't get filed until March.

would I have a leg to stand on dispute wise If it DOES show up on my Credit reports since it was paid before judgement??    And two, what kind of hit should i expect to see if it shows up.  and because i know my luck sucks and since i have a house in contract, i'm sure it will show up.

Thanks April--Ohio

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Paid Tax Lien.. Help

If it was paid before judgment, there should have been no judgment.

A judgment is one of the worst things you can have hit your CR.

Message 2 of 7
alleycat1975
Regular Contributor

Well, it was paid by the end of Feb. according to the attorney's Assistant but dont you know they won't send me a detailed account..   I need that info!  Because that would be my proof. 

I was told this:   2 payments were received, one in Jan and one in Feb but the lien process was started in Jan.  

I don't give a rats butt when it was started, it was FILED in March and that payment was paid before then!!   I have a feeling its going to be a battle.

Also, its not even on my credit report yet.   I'm sure it will probably show up knowing my luck and the fact i have a house in contract!!!   But i do have the release and now a 0 balance letter which is useless because they didn't provde the PAID dates!!! 

GRRRRR

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alleycat1975 wrote:

Didn't get a response to my long winded plea in Mortgages so how about a short and sweet question here:

Got a letter in the mail day before yesterday saying my tax lien was released, wasn't aware I had one.   Its not showing up on my CR's..   When i looked at court websites, it was recorded March 2nd and then release was dated March 15th.   I took the release to the Clerk of courts yesterday morning. 

Now, upon speaking to the attorney to whom filed the lien, the balance was paid in full in Feb.   He said the lien was in process in Jan (would have been nice to mention that to me in Jan when i spoke with them)  but regardless because of slow filing, it didn't get filed until March.

would I have a leg to stand on dispute wise If it DOES show up on my Credit reports since it was paid before judgement??    And two, what kind of hit should i expect to see if it shows up.  and because i know my luck sucks and since i have a house in contract, i'm sure it will show up.

Thanks April--Ohio

Tricky situation.

I am not sure, but since filing a lien is an administrative process and not a judicial process, the date the lien was actually recorded is largely irrelevant as is the fact you never received notice.  I do not think a dispute would be successful since the lien does accurately record the fact that you owed money at one point and a lien was filed to either perfect the creditor's interest and / or to get you to pay.

Message 5 of 7
alleycat1975
Regular Contributor

Yeah i know right?  Its basically life at the speed of government lol..

Administratively, I'm told it was started in Jan..(I had made payment arrangements on some debts.. if the jerks would have said a lien was in the works i would have taken more of an action then!!)   A payment had been made in Jan.. the other payment didn't come in until Feb and if i look at the filed document no mention is made about anything occuring in Jan... everything is time stamped etc as March.

So for all intents and purposes, they should have recalled that lien in Feb before it was ever even filed because filing after it was paid is frankly, filing a judgement on something thats paid..

Now, getting them to give me the proof so i could present it to the bureaus if and when it shows up, thats another issue altogether.  lol

Then the last issue... WILL it even show up on the bureus..  as of right now its not there.. 

I've been working my butt off for a year to get to this point..   I just feel absolutely sick that this could be the undoing..  and it wasn't even my fault--it was a debt my ex husband essentially caused and i was just lucky enough to file my taxes first..  (his name as well as my married name is on the debt, we were divorced as of Jan)

What a pain.  April

Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.