Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid in full / R9

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid in full / R9

I received a letter from Cap1 stating  "account is listed as paid in full with an R9 rating, which means the account was more than 180 days past due when payment was received". My question ---> Does this means R9 is the code for (more than 180 days past due) 

Thanks 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Paid in full / R9

Yes, that is what it means.  It is not the reporting of a new deliquency, and in fact not even a code that reports the payment. What has been stated in your CR actually relates to two combined impact of two differennt codes stored in your credit file.

Monthly reporting embraces many codes reflecting different items.  Three are related to your question, as follows.

There is one code which stores, in a string of numbers for the current and past status of the account for individual months in the past. This code thus grows in lenght each much by just tagging the current monthly code to the string of prior monthly codes

This is called the "payment history profile," and enables the reporting of your past payment hitory profile in your CR, and is what FICO uses to score old derogs.This is stored under field code 18 or your credit file.

Most other delinquency codes are overwritten (updated) each month to reflect only the current status. .

Your current "account status" code updates each month to show the level of the delinquency if the account is still not paid. If you pay the debt that month, the account status code simply updates to noe report a paid status..  It then and thereafter does not record any level of delinquency. This is reported under field code 17A of your credit file.

To preserve the level of delinquency at the time it is paid, a separate status code, called the "payment rating," records the highest level of delinquency reached on the account.

Payment of debt is unrelated to this code, other than to prevent it from growing to a more serious level. .  This is reported under field code 17B of your credit file.  There are nine different payment rating codes under field 17B, as follows:

current account (0-29 days past due)

30-59 days late

60-89 days late

90-119 days late

120-149 days late

150-179 days late

180 or more days past the due date

account has been charged-off

account has been placed for collection.

Message 2 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

A slight correction to RobertEG's post if the 9 is the current manner of payment the scale is thus

01  -  current account

02  -  30 to 59 days late

03 - 60 to 89 days late

04 - 90 to 120 days late

05 - 120 or more days late

06 - Used by Experian meaning 180s late

07 - bankruptcy

08 - foreclosure

09 - collection or charge off

The R means revolving

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Thanks, Andy.  Maybe so.  I dont know the source for your codes, but the codes I posted were direct from the CRA reporting manual.

The nine codes I reported are taken from the credit reporting manual, called the "Credit Reporting Resource Guide," (c) 2006, Consumer Data Industry Assoc.

This is the standard credit reporting format mutually agreed to by each of the CRAs, and is what is incorporated into all reporting agreements with the CRAs.

It is stored in field 17B, labeled as "payment rating,"  of a consuemer's credit file as one of those nine codes.  This code makes no distinction between revolving or installement delinquencies, or if the debt has even now been paid.  Account type separately records whether it is revolving or installment, and account status records its payment.

The R, in my opinion, refers to payment  "rating, " and not any account type, such as "revolving."

Regardless, that is a lot of haggling about details.  The basic effect is that you have a code in your CR that enables those pulling your CR to see how delinquent you were at the time the debt was finally paid.  180+ late is one of those nine codes.

Message 4 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

RobertEg,

Here is a link

http://www.transunion.com/docs/business/HowToReadCreditReport.pdf

Scroll down to about page 3.

TU has few unique qulifiers on 8 and 9, but this what I know for current mannor of payment.. Experian has couple things unique in their payment grid. Can you give me link for your resouce RobertEG?

Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

My source:

The "Credit Reporting Resource Guide," (c) 2006, Consumer Data Industry Assoc. (CDIA).

CDIA is an international trade association which contracted with the each of the three major CRAs more than a decade ago  to develop a standardized manual for credit reporting to be used  by all of the major CRAs.  That task force resulted in acceptance, by each major CRA, of those standardized requirements, and is now incorporated as the standard "Metro 2" format in all credit reporting to the CRAs.  The resullting standardized manual is the "Credit Reporting Resource Guide," and is what is commonly referred to as the "credit reporting manual."  Parties subscribing to credit reporting to the CRAs agree to terms of reporting set forth in that manual.

CDIA, as the contractor for development  of this manual, was granted rights to copyright protection  of its specific contents. Summries of its provisons are permited, but not direct, detailed quotes.  So when I refer to it as a source, I can only summarize the content, not quote exactly.

You can secure a copy of the Credit Reporting Resource Guide by contacting CDIA, and purchasing a copy from them. It costs around $200 miniumum.   It is not in the public domain.

That is my source.

Message 6 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Robert,

Using the information provided. I searched the internet for what you are referring to. The link below is what I found. http://cdia.files.cms-plus.com/PDFs/2006CRRGFieldDefinitions.pdf

If this the document you are referring to ?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.