Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid settlement amount, but CA asking for remaining balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid settlement amount, but CA asking for remaining balance

Hello. I'm new to the forum, and new to cleaning up my credit. Had a collection from LVNV for a credit one bank account for $660. On 8/17/20, I called and agreed to pay the settlement amount $396.52. Of course was told they don't give letters for pay to delete, but rep told me that account was settled and would be removed in 30 days. Today I received a letter from Resurgent showing my payment and saying I owe the remaining balance of $264.35. What recourse if any do I have? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Paid settlement amount, but CA asking for remaining balance

Do you have proof that was the settlement amount, like it was offered online? I take screenshots of everything.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I don't. It was done over the phone. Wasn't even aware of the collection until I began reviewing my credit report. Like I said, new to credit repair. 

Message 3 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I'd probably file a complaint with the CFPB. And while people think the BBB is a joke, my research has found that even CAs that don't PFD will delete to avoid a complaint and lawsuit. If you had some sort of proof, I'd contact a consumer protection attorney also.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay. I had looked on another forum and saw where they suggested reporting to BBB, with reps name, the date, and time of call. I just ordered my call logs to get information. Wow! They are cut throat. I will try  both. Thank you! 

Message 5 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay. I had looked on another forum and saw where they suggested reporting to BBB, with reps name, the date, and time of call. I just ordered my call logs to get information. Wow! They are cut throat. I will try  both. Thank you! 

Good luck. From what I found on the BBB, they would respond and review the call. If you were correct, they'd take care of everything. Like I said, even CAs that don't PFD per policy would completely delete everything to make the problem go away.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to hear! I'm on top of it. Thank you again. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.