cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment History Deleted from Charge Off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Payment History Deleted from Charge Off?

Is it usual that the payment history will get deleted when something is charged off? I have 2 charge offs that were showing in the "negative" section of my Equifax report. I noticed they had been removed but are still reporting under the "revolving" section with no payment history however the status is still charged off. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Payment History Deleted from Charge Off?

Its up to the bank if they continue to report the history, the CO is the elephant in the room with or without the payment history.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Payment History Deleted from Charge Off?

Some creditors will even forgo reporting of any monthly delinquencies, and only report once they do a charge-off.

Many creditors similarly have a practice of only reporting delinquencies once they reach 60 or 90 days late.

It is a very common, and thus acceptable, practice based many decades of credit reporting, that a creditor need not report all lower levels of delinquency.

Technically, one could argue that such reporting is incomplete, and thus disputable under FCRA 611(a), which permits disputes if the reporting is either inaccurate or incomplete, but such disputes are rare to non-existent.

Reporting of a charge-off is a combination of both the delinquency being major AND the determination by the creditor that the debt is not expected to be paid.

It is a serious major derog that effectively incorporates delinquencies of 120-180+ days late.  Both the monthly delinquencies and a CO can be reported.

You could, if so inclined, file a dispute contesting the completeness of their reporting by their not having also reported (or reported, and then later deleted) lower levels of delinquency.

Consumers dont usually file disputes to have adverse items added to their file, and past practice has accepted the lack of reporting of all lower levels of delinquency as being acceptable, but you could always dispute if you wish each delinquency to be shown.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.