cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed - New account reported vs CLI

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Contributor

PenFed - New account reported vs CLI

Wondering if this has happened to anyone. I accepted a Q4 offer for a CLI on my Promise VISA. It took it from $10,500 to $35,400. Now it took almost a week to reflect my new limit and several phone calls, with one of the reps saying they were trying to add the CLI to a card I didn’t have instead of the card on file so that caused the delay. It finally updated, no big deal.

Today I received an alert that a new account had reported to the CRAs. When I looked, I noticed THREE PenFed accounts. I only have two account with PenFed (the Promise and the Gold). The third account is showing as opened on 1/7/19 with a limit of $35,400 and then closed by consumer a few days later. So it appears they pushed a new account to my report with my CLI, same account number. This doesn’t seem right to me. Definitely going to call PenFed but not looking forward to trying to figure this out.

Anyone? Suggestions?
FICO 8 (as of 8/23/2019) | EX: 823 | TU: 824 | EQ: 831
Inquiries (Total) | EX: 2 | TU: 1 | EQ: 1
Inquiries (Less than 1 year) | EX: 0 | TU: 0 | EQ: 1

PenFed Promise Visa $39,000 | NFCU More Rewards Amex $25,000 | Bank Americard Mastercard $25,000 | Macy's $25,000 | NFCU Go Rewards Visa Sig $24,300 | Citi Simplicity Mastercard $21,000 | Synchrony Home (Mohawk) $17,600 | NFCU CLOC $15,000 | Citi Costco Visa Sig $12,300 | PenFed Gold Visa $11,000 | Citi Diamond Preferred Visa $8,000 | Discover It $7,500 | Kohl's $3,000

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed - New account reported vs CLI

My experience with PenFed's screwups with the credit bureaus is that they are very reluctant to correct errors even when they are PenFed's fault.  You may need to deal directly with the credit bureaus and file a correction in which you point out that the same card number was on two different accounts.  The credit bureaus will contact PenFed, and suddenly everything will be fixed.

Chase Sapphire Reserve • PenFed Power Cash Rewards • and five cards in the sock drawer

No CC debt • No bonus chasing • No app sprees • No gift cards • No AZEO • No airline incidentals • No hotel cards • No store cards • No business cards • No authorized users
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

My experience with PenFed's screwups with the credit bureaus is that they are very reluctant to correct errors even when they are PenFed's fault.  You may need to deal directly with the credit bureaus and file a correction in which you point out that the same card number was on two different accounts.  The credit bureaus will contact PenFed, and suddenly everything will be fixed.

Correction:

"suddenly everything will be fixed maybe."

Total revolving limits 639500 (558000 reporting)
FICO 8's EQ 710 TU 733 EX 717

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Contributor

I did call, they offered to submit a correction request asap (had to fax in a copy of my report). Hopefully they follow through, but I’ll keep an eye on it. They did follow through on removing an inquiry several months ago (well, they ended up removing both instead of just the one) so fingers crossed.

I wasn’t sure if initiating the dispute directly through the CRA would put any type of verbiage on my report or anything like that, so I was hesitant to go that route. But that will be my next step if this doesn’t go anywhere. I knew my CLI offer was too good to be true to go smoothly... ha!

PenFed Promise Visa $39,000 | NFCU More Rewards Amex $25,000 | Bank Americard Mastercard $25,000 | Macy's $25,000 | NFCU Go Rewards Visa Sig $24,300 | Citi Simplicity Mastercard $21,000 | Synchrony Home (Mohawk) $17,600 | NFCU CLOC $15,000 | Citi Costco Visa Sig $12,300 | PenFed Gold Visa $11,000 | Citi Diamond Preferred Visa $8,000 | Discover It $7,500 | Kohl's $3,000

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Contributor

And there it is... alerts for Equifax and Experian, too. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Sigh.

PenFed says they are sending the dispute/correction to all bureaus. Any benefit to me disputing on my end too, or should I just let them (hopefully) do their thing?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.