cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AZEO, and whether charge cards count

AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

Question about AZEO, and whether charge cards count

Does anyone know if Charge Cards (Amex, for example), count as your 1 in the AZEO method?  I'm trying to max out my score for refinancing my mortgage, and want to play around with getting it down.  Right now, I planned on having one of my revolvers show a 1% balance, and my charge card will likely have a balance as well, since I am under the impression that it doesn't count toward AZEO. Can anyone confirm? If the charge card can be counted in the AZEO method, then I will just pay off the 1% revolver.  Thank you!

June 2020 EQ-750 TU-825 EX-813
UTIL: 1%

Goal Card
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about AZEO, and whether charge cards count

I'm pretty sure charge cards will mess up AZEO. They don't contribute to utilization but DO count as an account with a balance. 

I have 9 accounts on my reports right now(one AU) and optimal for me is having one of my credit cards report with a small balance and the AU card reporting a blance. The thing I noticed is that the AU card reporting at <1% but >0% was not good enough to give me the bonus there. I'll know if I'm right about this when that account closes tomorrow with 3% utilization.

Message 2 of 4
dragontears
Valued Contributor

@AI_JMV wrote:

Does anyone know if Charge Cards (Amex, for example), count as your 1 in the AZEO method?  I'm trying to max out my score for refinancing my mortgage, and want to play around with getting it down.  Right now, I planned on having one of my revolvers show a 1% balance, and my charge card will likely have a balance as well, since I am under the impression that it doesn't count toward AZEO. Can anyone confirm? If the charge card can be counted in the AZEO method, then I will just pay off the 1% revolver.  Thank you!

FYI for mortgage scores charge cards count in utilization with the highest reported balance acting as your credit "limit" 

I am not 100% positive if it counts in AZEO but since it impacts your utilization there is a very good chance it impacts AZEO with mortgage scores. 

Your best bet is to forgo reward optimization for a month or so and not use your charge card during your refi

Scores hover around 800
Haven't been AZEO in over a year
Rome was not built in a day, neither is a good credit profile
Message 3 of 4
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

This is really good info. So, even though the high limit metric is no longer used in regular FICO scoring, it is still used in Mortgage scoring?  That is very good to know! I think I will just pay it off, and not worry about. I will keep the revolver at 1% and maximize all around. Thank you so much!

June 2020 EQ-750 TU-825 EX-813
UTIL: 1%

Goal Card
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.