cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Collection Accounts

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Question about Collection Accounts

Sorry if some of these questions seem simple but i'm wondering about my one and only negative on EQ.. It's showing CA for 4 months from last year. I never received a note or call, email, snail mail that i was late for anything or that i would have something sent to collections. Also, there was never anything shown in collections on my CR... With this little bit of info, does anything seem off. I'd even feel better about it if there was actually something i owed and did not pay.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about Collection Accounts

There is no requirement that a debt collector make any contact with or provide notice to a consumer prior to reporting their collection.

A debt collector is required to send a formal collection ("dunning") notice to a consumer within 5 days after an initial communication with the consumer, informing them of their right to request debt validation.  Some jurisdictions have case law interpretation that reporting to a CRA also triggers a dunning notice requirement, but lack of dunning notice is not basis to compel deletion of their reported collection.

Sending a DV request within 30 days after dunning notice will then impose a cease collection bar on the debt collector, preventing them from continued, active efforts to collect on the debt, but a DV does not compel that they send validation.

Do you contest the validity of the debt, or do you accept the debt as legitimate?

Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about Collection Accounts

I contest the validity
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.