cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random RentTrack Hard Inquiry. Fraud or Error?

tag
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

Random RentTrack Hard Inquiry. Fraud or Error?

What's up guys. I was at work today when I received an alert from credit karma that a new hard inquiry was added to my transunion report. I looked and saw the name "RENTTRACK INC." with todays date 6/8/22, which is totally random. I had to google them because I had no idea who they were. I instantly assumed someone stole my identity and tried applying for something. After more digging I found that Self Inc. whom I have a credit builder account with just purchased that company back in February of this year. I can only assume that maybe they automatically received my information from Self? Is that legal?

I emailed RentTrack and got this reply. It seems fishy. Almost like they made an error but how did they get my social? Even this email response, I never gave them anything but my name, how do they know what my social is to contact TU and have it removed?

How should I proceed?

F89D05D8-FB79-4859-A3CA-ADD0FCA7C797.jpeg

D1DA7555-39C3-4257-8B11-035238AED368.jpeg

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Portsofrocks
Established Member

Re: Random RentTrack Hard Inquiry. Fraud or Error?

It happened to me as well today. Needless to say I'm livid with Self! Enough to close my account with them. I literally left work to go home and figure this out and thank goodness for twitter. It's only two points, but I was at 750. 

Starting Score: 589
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 21
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

@Portsofrocks wrote:

It happened to me as well today. Needless to say I'm livid with Self! Enough to close my account with them. I literally left work to go home and figure this out and thank goodness for twitter. It's only two points, but I was at 750. 

I hear you. I felt the same way. I just got an email from Self now. As I suspected it was them. At least it's good to know it isn't identity fraud.

9FAB3C0F-3E6A-40CA-94EE-6B4CFCC1DA22.jpeg

Message 3 of 21
Portsofrocks
Established Member

I sent a chat request as to how fast the removal will take place, with a timeframe request and a begged for a non automated response. i got excatly what i expected, an automated response. Smiley LOL 

Starting Score: 589
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 21
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

@Portsofrocks wrote:

I sent a chat request as to how fast the removal will take place, with a timeframe request and a begged for a non automated response. i got excatly what i expected, an automated response. Smiley LOL 

Yup they must've sent out these emails to all members. I didn't contact them and got this email anyway.

Message 5 of 21
Ritsko8998
New Visitor

I just had the same thing happen too. I was farious thinking someone stole my social. I also have self. Who do I write to get this Inquiry off?

Message 6 of 21
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

@Ritsko8998 wrote:

I just had the same thing happen too. I was farious thinking someone stole my social. I also have self. Who do I write to get this Inquiry off?

Apparently Self is disputing it with Transunion already to get it removed. Normally you would contact Transunion and dispute it yourself to have it removed. I sent a email to Self this morning asking for clarification on why RentTrack had my private info without authorization and I got this reply. You can see my original message below the screen shot and the top part is their response. It sounds mighty similar to the other 2 emails I got. I believe whatever happened is illegal. I'm on the verge of paying off my credit builder account early and ending my ties with Self. Now I don't trust them. Something seems shady.

B026255F-5B94-471D-AB94-68CC442E2C6D.jpeg

Message 7 of 21
ceejay78
Contributor

@MarkyB wrote:

@Ritsko8998 wrote:

Apparently Self is disputing it with Transunion already to get it removed. Normally you would contact Transunion and dispute it yourself to have it removed. I sent a email to Self this morning asking for clarification on why RentTrack had my private info without authorization and I got this reply. You can see my original message below the screen shot and the top part is their response. It sounds mighty similar to the other 2 emails I got. I believe whatever happened is illegal. I'm on the verge of paying off my credit builder account early and ending my ties with Self. Now I don't trust them. Something seems shady.

B026255F-5B94-471D-AB94-68CC442E2C6D.jpeg

what a mess on their part and sorry this happened to you. I have an online account with TU -https://service.transunion.com I keep it frozen until i need to use it for an inquiry and helps to avoid incorrect HPs.

FICO 8: EX 764 TU 770 EQ 762
FICO 9: EX 781 TU 781 EQ 785
Message 8 of 21
Ritsko8998
New Visitor

@MarkyB @Thank you so much I appreciate your help. Means a lot to me. I been trying to build my credit up for year. Yeah last time I did self I never had to pay interest and this year I'm paying interest which has never even happens last time. But your right after this I'm done with it . I'm gonna pay mine off too as well and be down. Thank you for the information it really has helped me I will be emailing them too as well!! Sorry it happens to you and all of us . It's such bs . I appreciate your help. 

Message 9 of 21
Ritsko8998
New Visitor

@Portsofrocks  Mine went down three points because of it. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.