Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-aged Collection...Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-aged Collection...Advice

In 2005-2006 I had a couple of credit cards go into default. So about 2012-2013 all those finally hit the 7 year mark and fell off my report. I have maintained really good credit since then, nothing negative. Last month, I had a collection appear on my Equifax credit report.  It shows date opened to be 05/17, date reported 08/17, first delinquency 08/17. And of course decreased my score by 50 pts. I have no idea what this is other than an old collection that has been re-aged, or if its actually even mine.

I submitted a dispute requesting verification of first date of delinquency The dispute came back and the collection agency changed the first day of delinquency to 8/2013. It's so frustrating. The original credit card account is so old, its not on my report and I can't find any information to compare dates. Any ideas on next steps for removal?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Re-aged Collection...Advice

Have you contacted the creditor to request info and dates regarding their account?

In particular, do you have any info that shows when the OC account was closed?

Additionally, is the debt collector now asserting to be the owner, or are they only assigned collection authority?

If the debt collector is asserting an Open date for their collection of 5/2017, that is their statement of when they received collection authority.

I would include in my call to the OC whether they assigned or sold the debt to the debt collector on or about that date.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.