Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental home/handyman special debt

tag
chelsisms
New Visitor

Rental home/handyman special debt

Hello all! Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Within the last two months I've had a $10,279 collections account from impact receivables management in Stafford Texas. The original creditor is citywide property management, with whom I entered into a handyman special lease agreement pre-Covid. I am not a handyman, I've never advertised myself as a handyman, but we did have an agreement in place and things were moving along until a lightening strike in September of 2020. 

three electricians confirmed that there was no electrical fire [despite their being numerous hazards and the out of state owners belief] and that lightning travel through the ground and into the cast-iron bathtub. The owner did not have insurance, refused to do the work necessary so that I could continue the less serious repairs, and I moved out. Rent was never late, I covered all of my bases as far as communicating goals, & was on track completing the repairs. I'm about 95% sure that the $10,000 collection is related to the September fire + subsequent impasse and not my original [incomplete work].

what are my options? My dad feels I should take her to court or something for the mold, exposed wires, and other hazardous situation that I wrote down somewhere — but I really just want this debt off of my credit report so that I can utilize my VA benefits and buy my first home. I think that I'm past the point of a debt validation letter but I'm willing to send one anyway.

It's hard to get things done when you're homeless with PTSD, so please keep any judgment to a minimum about what I should have done but didn't :-)

it's worth noting that the original creditors are hostile since the fire/lightening strike, and I doubt direct contact would get anywhere. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Rental home/handyman special debt

@chelsisms wrote:

Within the last two months I've had a $10,279 collections account from impact receivables management in Stafford Texas. The original creditor is citywide property management, with whom I entered into a handyman special lease agreement pre-Covid. I am not a handyman, I've never advertised myself as a handyman, but we did have an agreement in place and things were moving along until a lightening strike in September of 2020. 

three electricians confirmed that there was no electrical fire [despite their being numerous hazards and the out of state owners belief] and that lightning travel through the ground and into the cast-iron bathtub. The owner did not have insurance, refused to do the work necessary so that I could continue the less serious repairs, and I moved out. Rent was never late, I covered all of my bases as far as communicating goals, & was on track completing the repairs. I'm about 95% sure that the $10,000 collection is related to the September fire + subsequent impasse and not my original [incomplete work].

what are my options? My dad feels I should take her to court or something for the mold, exposed wires, and other hazardous situation that I wrote down somewhere — but I really just want this debt off of my credit report so that I can utilize my VA benefits and buy my first home. I think that I'm past the point of a debt validation letter but I'm willing to send one anyway.

It's hard to get things done when you're homeless with PTSD, so please keep any judgment to a minimum about what I should have done but didn't :-)

it's worth noting that the original creditors are hostile since the fire/lightening strike, and I doubt direct contact would get anywhere. 

My gut tells me you need to talk with an attorney.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 3
203bravo
Established Contributor

Re: Rental home/handyman special debt

@Horseshoez wrote:

@chelsisms wrote:

My gut tells me you need to talk with an attorney.

100%  It's all going to come down to what's in the signed contract. 

Best of luck. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.