cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL according to bankrate.com... I don't understand! Most states claim 6 years!

tag
ah32
Frequent Contributor

SOL according to bankrate.com... I don't understand! Most states claim 6 years!

If most states claim 6 years and some are even less, then why do most of us think it's 7 years? Plus, a couple of my derogs would have been removed through disputing.  I thought I would try early because they are already over 6 years old.  I have a couple of creditors calling now that I was stupid enough to add my phone number a few months back.  I've now removed my phone number.  The debts are at least 6 years old.  Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SOL according to bankrate.com... I don't understand! Most states claim 6 years!

The SOL is 6 yrs so you can't be sued but CA can still call you and try to trick into paying.
7 years is when it falls of your credit report two different things.
Message 2 of 4
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: SOL according to bankrate.com... I don't understand! Most states claim 6 years!

ah32 wrote:
If most states claim 6 years and some are even less, then why do most of us think it's 7 years? Plus, a couple of my derogs would have been removed through disputing.  I thought I would try early because they are already over 6 years old.  I have a couple of creditors calling now that I was stupid enough to add my phone number a few months back.  I've now removed my phone number.  The debts are at least 6 years old.  Any thoughts?

I have noticed the bankrate link has not updated some of the changes in SOL with a few states. Also, there is a difference between SOL and CRTPs (credit reporting time periods). These threads should
help out. What would we do without Tuscani?Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are dealing with laws by the federal gov. and your state laws. Some state laws are more in your favor and deal with when & who can sue you, or get a judgment.

Read this thread by NOAH...it explains both

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.