cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Down 10 Points on Credit Karma...? Confused?

tag
FutureMogulMs
Established Member

Score Down 10 Points on Credit Karma...? Confused?

Hi Everyone,

Checked my credit karma this morning and it was down 10 points. No changes or inquirys except a removal from first premier, my student loans are current, nothing added, or updated as late.. im confused. Does your score flucuate even with no activity???

Advice please.

Thanks Guys!

10 REPLIES 10
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Score Down 10 Points on Credit Karma...? Confused?

Don't worry, everyone is confused by those scores.  Those aren't FICO scores so I wouldn't even worry about it.  Their scoring system is totally different than FICO and I don't know of any lenders that actually use Vantage scores.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, my vantage score does fluctuate and TU took a 12 point dip today to so who knows

Message 3 of 11
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Ignore the scores from Credit Karma.
Message 4 of 11
Indycoltsfan
Regular Contributor

@medicgrrl wrote:

Don't worry, everyone is confused by those scores.  Those aren't FICO scores so I wouldn't even worry about it.  Their scoring system is totally different than FICO and I don't know of any lenders that actually use Vantage scores.

Totally agree - you will drive yourself crazy trying to keep up with Vantage Scores and FICO scores - just concentrate on FICO.   Good luck - I know it's a rollercoaster watching scores fluctuate.  

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

FutureMogulMs wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Checked my credit karma this morning and it was down 10 points. No changes or inquirys except a removal from first premier, my student loans are current, nothing added, or updated as late.. im confused. Does your score flucuate even with no activity???

Advice please.

Thanks Guys!

The same thing happened to me too for my EQ score! I have no idea why as all of my metrics pointed towards that I should have actually received an increase. It was very odd, however I just don't think CK is very accurate. 

Message 6 of 11
MrTom
Frequent Contributor

Vantage (Credit Karma) are educational scores- I even posted a question about the Vantage scoring system today.  I had a CO deleted, Vantage fell 5 points.  I had a collection deleted today with a balance, and it did not move.  I run the simulator one day if I paid so much on mycreditcard, it showed nochange. I paid my credit card down by that what if and it went up 70 points.

Starting Score: May 23, 2016 EQ 537 TU 518 EX 548
Recent Scores: EQ 839 TU 824 EX 821
Goal Score: 840
Current Vantage 3.0: 808
Mortgage Scores August 18 2017: EQ5 684 TU4 692 EX2 690
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both of my scores through CK just went down 25 points! After a brief panic, I checked my reports to find minimal changes (some mild balance increases). 

Heading to the Disco, their posted FICO for me is still steadily rising, and is back at a 690. 

Moral of the story, take the VS with a grain of salt.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do need to offer a small correction; if you're looking to rent/lease an apartment, that's when you really do need to pay attention to your Vantage scores. For some reason, a lot of apartment management companies prefer to use Vantage over FICO (the same way many insurance companies prefer Lexis/Nexis to FICO).

Message 9 of 11
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do need to offer a small correction; if you're looking to rent/lease an apartment, that's when you really do need to pay attention to your Vantage scores. For some reason, a lot of apartment management companies prefer to use Vantage over FICO (the same way many insurance companies prefer Lexis/Nexis to FICO).

I got a car loan from a small local credit union in Feb 2015, and when I asked the loan officer what my credit score was she told me from EX it was 704, which matched my Vantage/FAKO score exactly. I've also found that they only report to EQ & EX, so I guess they also use Vantage instead of FICO.

BUT, for the OP, don't sweat your Vantage score, it changes with the wind. My BK7 was discharged Jan 2011. I had been trying to delay the inevitable and was using checks from one CC to make the minimum payments on others. Those are cash advances, which can be excluded from BK if made prior to 90 days to filing. So my attorney made me wait 90 days to file but told me to stop paying everyone. So I had 7 accounts included in BK with legit 30-60 and some with 90 day lates prior to filing. Those were falling off my CR April thru June, so in early April I got TU to remove them all. My TU Vantage scores have dropped from 722 to 700! But my TU FICO score, which always had a line of "serious delinquencies" no long has that, and jumped 39 points, from 677 to 716. I'll take FICO.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.