Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped 50 points, only change was a balance decrease of $390

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score dropped 50 points, only change was a balance decrease of $390

I have no idea what to make of this. Nothing on my report changed, except that I paid off $390 on one of my credit cards.  

This is a screenshot from Credit Karma, Transunion VantageScore 3.0  

https://i.imgur.com/1d7rHsm.png 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Score dropped 50 points, only change was a balance decrease of $390

Its Credit Karma, you can't judge anything by them..........................................................................

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

$1 you can obtain your 3 bureau FICO 8 reports at Experian.com or creditchecktotal.com. Cancel in 7 day or less to avoid the re-occurring monthly charge. Wash, Rinse, and Repeat as needed.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disagree, I've been  using my Credit Karma score as a basis to determine when to apply for credit. When my score went up to 740 on Credit Karma, I got approved for a car loan at 3% APR. Same goes for all the cards I have. Can anyone reccomend a free service that is better?

I paid off $7,000 in debt a few weeks ago, so I'll see what my score is in a few weeks once my new account balances are reported. This 50 point drop seems pretty strange.

Message 4 of 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I disagree, I've been  using my Credit Karma score as a basis to determine when to apply for credit. When my score went up to 740 on Credit Karma, I got approved for a car loan at 3% APR. Same goes for all the cards I have. Can anyone reccomend a free service that is better?

I paid off $7,000 in debt a few weeks ago, so I'll see what my score is in a few weeks once my new account balances are reported. This 50 point drop seems pretty strange.

Did your lender use VantageScore 3.0 to approve your auto loan? The majority of lenders use FICO.

Not free but see my post above for $1. CK and wallethub are great for credit reports, not so much for scores.

I would recommend reading the below from ABCD2199
The Truth about Credit Card Utilization
My 11 Rules to Credit Rebuilding
FICO Score: What to pay down first?

Message 5 of 17
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well you would be incorrect. CK uses Vantage score 3.0  Most all lenders in this universe use FICO!!  CK should only be used to monitor your credit reports only. It's free,so you get what you pay for.

While your Vantage scores may happened to be in line with your FICO, it doesn't make these scoring algorithms anything alike

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope that didn't come off as too harsh, Credit Karma using a different (sh**ty) scoring system but I wouldn't say you can't judge anything. Their user interface and ability to easily see accounts and details of your credit history is very helpful. All the advertising clutter for sub-par loans and tax services is annoying though.

I just used Synchrony Bank's credit score feature and it reports 633 with TransUnion VantageScore 4.0

The score drop appears to be meaningless and Credit Karma sucks at scores.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did your lender use VantageScore 3.0 to approve your auto loan? The majority of lenders use FICO.

Not free but see my post above for $1. CK and wallethub are great for credit reports, not so much for scores.

Well you would be incorrect. CK uses Vantage score 3.0  Most all lenders in this universe use FICO!!  CK should only be used to monitor your credit reports only. It's free,so you get what you pay for.

While your Vantage scores may happened to be in line with your FICO, it doesn't make these scoring algorithms anything alike

Thank you, that was very helpful.

Message 8 of 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I hope that didn't come off as too harsh, Credit Karma using a different (sh**ty) scoring system but I wouldn't say you can't judge anything. Their user interface and ability to easily see accounts and details of your credit history is very helpful. All the advertising clutter for sub-par loans and tax services is annoying though.

I just used Synchrony Bank's credit score feature and it reports 633 with TransUnion VantageScore 4.0

CK, TU, WH are great because it's free. I use them all the time. It lets me know when TU and EQ has updated. Then, I pull my actual FICO scores.

Message 9 of 17
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CK, TU, WH are great because it's free. I use them all the time. It lets me know when TU and EQ has updated. Then, I pull my actual FICO scores.

Oh yes I use them too they are great for monitoring you just can't gauge anything with their scores when it comes to credit.

Now synchrony is really the "only" lender than I am aware of that is using Vantage 4.0 for their credir decisions, probably because it's cheaper LOL, but other than them , majority use good ole FICO and until that changes I am not putting any stock in vantage scores whether is 3.0 or 4.0.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.