Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent out a GW letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sent out a GW letter

I sent out a GW letter for a debt that I had paid 3 years ago. It shows as paid but is still on report. So to my surprise I got a response saying that it is "Requested to be expunged from all 3 credit bearueas". Now does this mean the bearueas could say no and not delete it? It's been a few weeks and it's still on there.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sent out a GW letter

No, the bureaus don't say "yes" or "no" to these things.  Their job is to compile the data that is sent to them.  If your lender is sending them data to change (remove) a negative item, the 3 bureaus will do so.  If for some reason they did not, all you would have to do is provide them with the documentation from your lender stating that they sent a request to the CRAs to have something changed and that it didn't change.  Upon doing this it would happen very quickly.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok great. Thanks

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree that it is very unlikely for the CRA to deny deletion, and there is no clear anecdotal postings showing they have a regular practice of doing so, but it is nonetheless possible.

The CRAs jointly have a clear policy instructing furnishers not to delete accurate reporting based on the debt having been paid.

That policy is to preserve the completeness of the product they sell (i.e., credit reports).

If a creditor were to notify that CRA that they are requesting deletion based on the debt having been paid, it is possible for the CRA to question the appropriateness of that reporting, or even refuse to delete.  They also have a statutory mandate under FCRA 607(b) to take actions to assure the completeness of credit reports they issue.

Hopefully, the creditor will simply report deletion.  No reasons are normally reqired, and unless they voluntarily inform the CRA that a reported deletion is being made contrary to CRA policy, I know of no history of a CRA refusing to delete or requesting additional reasons for a reported deletion.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.