Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I/Can I file chapter 7?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I/Can I file chapter 7?

First of all, just let me say thank you to all the folks on this forum for your helpful insight and information on such a variety of topics. I know I’m not the only one or has or will benefit from your knowledge in the future.

Now for my dilemma. I am 21, going on 22 before the end of the year. When I was in college I discovered credit. It felt like Free money, or I would get the feeling “oh I’ll pay it back next month.” Well as we all know, and I now know, it doesn’t quite work that way.

I was able to accrue $24,000 of credit card debt in a few years during college. Much of which is on a few credit cards carrying a high interest rate.

For the last year or so I’ve been giving it my all to try and pay down these balances. But at the end of every month I see no noticeable reduction, and find myself scraping to get by with the bare minimum. Just making rent and paying for gas to get to work.

I want to get a start on my life, I finished school and received my degree. I want to be able to start a career and move forward. But right now I just cant afford to make any changes or move. I’m stuck in a rut and I see no way out.

This brings me to the thought of filing chapter 7. It’s the last thing I have ever thought or wanted to do in my life. I never thought I’d be the one contemplating bankruptcy. But at this point I feel like my only options are to either file, or live the next 10 years of this day to day anxiety ridden life to pay down the debt, and then start my life.

The other dilemma is my car, I had to have a parent co-sign on my car last year to be able to be approved for the loan. I don’t want to negatively damage my parents credit in the event I file, so I am curious if anyone has any experience reaffirming an auto loan after bankruptcy. Is something that is common? Is it usually approved by the court?

As it sits, I have never missed a payment and am not behind on any accounts. I can afford to pay my rent and all my bills, but I have pennies left at the end of every month to live off of.

I just would like to find light at the end of the tunnel. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone for taking the time to read.

Lance
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I/Can I file chapter 7?

At your age, work more. Much more. Uber, Instacart, barback, etc.

$24,000 isn't enough at your age to file BK over in my opinion.

Work 2-3 jobs up to 70 hours a week for a year and they're paid in full.
Message 2 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
At your age, work more. Much more. Uber, Instacart, barback, etc.

$24,000 isn't enough at your age to file BK over in my opinion.

Work 2-3 jobs up to 70 hours a week for a year and they're paid in full.

That's good advice ^^^^^.

And something else to think about is that a bankruptcy stays on you credit report for 10 years, so until you're 31 or 32 - that's a long time for someone who is 21.

What are your credit scores? It sounds like the credit card interest is so high that most of your monthly payments go toward the interest, that's why you're not making any headway. If your scores are good enough you could apply for another credit card with a 0% interest for at least 12 months and do a balance transfer to pay off the high interest credit cards, that way your payments will go toward reducing your debt instead of just paying interest. Or you could try for a personal loan from the likes of Lending Club or Prosper, even at 12-15% that should be a lot less than your credit cards.

The key is to reduce your high interest debt, either through increasing your income from higher pay or second jobs, combined with reducing your interest expense with a 0% CC or lower interest personal loan. Bankruptcy is always the very last resort, especially for someone just starting out in life. Congrats on getting your college degree, that will be an asset all your life, and one that no one can ever take away from you.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have been paying and have not ruined your parent's credit, maybe they will trust you and get a low interest loan for you.  The money from the loan could be used to pay off the credit card debt and you pay your parents monthly.  It's just a thought.  I have adult kids who recently finished college also.  I would do this for my daughter in a heart beat because she has always paid me whenever we had an agreement and she always pays her bills on time.  I would not do this for my son because he does not pay his bills and has stiffed me for money before.  You sound like you are like my daughter.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Move back home.

Sell the car if you're not underwater.

Increase earnings as others have mentioned.

Pay everything off.

Start over.

Message 5 of 6
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

NO.  There are 'other' options.  Call a credit counseling service like Take Charge America.  They will work with the CC companies to get your interest lowered, sometimes as low as 0% for five years.  For 24,000 your payment could be as low as $400 - $450.  That's a part time job right there.   In order to 'grow' as a young adult, you have to make sacrifices.  This may be one of them.

At least call a counselor and have a conversation.  If you're only working 40 hours per week, you're not working enough.  Sell whatever you have that you don't need.  Move back home, sell the car and take the bus.  BK7 should not be an option at 21.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.