cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I attempt to delete late payments?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I attempt to delete late payments?

My credit scores under FICO 8 are Equifax 665, Transunion 656, Experian 656.   I went through a bad spot in 2017 and have late payments scattered across a few accounts.  Additionally, there are a couple between 2014 and 2015.   Should I attempt to dispute these in hopes they will be deleted?  There were (unfortunately) legitimately late.    My hope is my score will go up if they are removed.  

Thank you in advance for the advice. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I attempt to delete late payments?

@Anonymous wrote:

My credit scores under FICO 8 are Equifax 665, Transunion 656, Experian 656.   I went through a bad spot in 2017 and have late payments scattered across a few accounts.  Additionally, there are a couple between 2014 and 2015.   Should I attempt to dispute these in hopes they will be deleted?  There were (unfortunately) legitimately late.    My hope is my score will go up if they are removed.  

Thank you in advance for the advice. 

Hi OP,

You don't dispute legitimate lates. They will come back validated. If there was negative info not reporting, it could update to report. That would further ding your score.

Your course of action is writing GW letters to lenders. The process for goodwill letters and process can be found in Rebuild section. Good luck!!

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  I have tried a round of GW letters and the replies all came back as "thank you but we are not removing".   I will try another round.  

Message 3 of 4
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, GW is often a test of endurance.  You just have to keep trying.  Since the lates are valid you're at the mercy of the lender and there are numerous posts regarding success using the saturation technique in the link below by BrutalBodyShots.  Good Luck!

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-...

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.