Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something I Noticed Today-Collections

tag
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

Something I Noticed Today-Collections

I was under the impression that most Collection Agencies purchase debts pennies on the dollar and generally will settle for less than the debt because they are making a killing anyway.

I started helping my nephew with his credit the other day and saw he had 6 medical collections 4 around 2 years old and 2 new ones around June (Paragon Revenue Group).

As he has a little money available to currently pay the debts I tolds him to call the companies and try to settle.

3 of the older collection agencies accepted 50% payments to settle debt.

1 settled for 70%.

The 2 new collections (less than a year wouldn't budge they wanted the entire debt owed.

I told my nephew he will just have to bite the bullet and pay them in full because he will be better off not being penalized for years with score suppression and negative consequences.

Once these 6 collections are paid and deleted his scores should receive a hefty boost.

So basically New Collections don't settle for less it seems. YMMV

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Something I Noticed Today-Collections

Paid collections will be removed from reports with the new law. Its been known the older the debt. The lower the settlement will go. Once its about ready to fall off the cliff. 30% or less in some cases. Being newer usually wont happen. But so far so good.

Message 2 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

I was under the impression that most Collection Agencies purchase debts pennies on the dollar and generally will settle for less than the debt because they are making a killing anyway.

I started helping my nephew with his credit the other day and saw he had 6 medical collections 4 around 2 years old and 2 new ones around June (Paragon Revenue Group).

As he has a little money available to currently pay the debts I tolds him to call the companies and try to settle.

1 settled for 70%.

The 2 new collections (less than a year wouldn't budge they wanted the entire debt owed.

I told my nephew he will just have to bite the bullet and pay them in full because he will be better off not being penalized for years with score suppression and negative consequences.

Once these 6 collections are paid and deleted his scores should receive a hefty boost.

1.  No reason to assume they are being 'deleted' any time soon.

2.  Can't generalize from this one scenario that new collections won't settle.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

1 settled for 70%.

Actually there *is* a reason to believe they'll be deleted soon. Paid medical collections will no longer show on reports as per the new reporting rules the three bureaus came out with July 1st, 2022.

@Iusedtolurk, yes, typically CAs are willing to negotiate and settle for far less the older a debt is and the closer it is to falling off reports. This is true for normal (non-medical) collections as well.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 10
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

1 settled for 70%.

Actually there *is* a reason to believe they'll be deleted soon. Paid medical collections will no longer show on reports as per the new reporting rules the three bureaus came out with July 1st, 2022.

@Iusedtolurk, yes, typically CAs are willing to negotiate and settle for far less the older a debt is and the closer it is to falling off reports. This is true for normal (non-medical) collections as well.

@OmarGB9  That was my initial impression of the new July law although I had not scrutinized it in depth. After my nephew pays I will update outcomes for data points that will assist others.

Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

1 settled for 70%.

Is a settled collection the same as a paid collection? I'm just asking.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@Iusedtolurk   A collection agency can get accounts to collect on in one of two ways basically. The creditor assign assign accounts to them. The creditor still owns the debt.  The collection agency recieves a certain percentage of the amount collected.  The collection agency can go out a buy debts at a fraction of the actual amount owed. They make their money on the difference between the debt was bought for and the amount the agency collected on those debts. Same collection agencies may do both buy debts and have accounts assigned to them by a creditor.  The percentage of the debt agency will settle for probably has many factors are involved in the decision if at all.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

1 settled for 70%.

Is a settled collection the same as a paid collection? I'm just asking.

There's been DPs of medical collections being deleted even if settled for less, yes.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 10
Vuby22
Contributor

I don't think it is a law. It was a PSA from the big 3 due to some type of influence (press, lobby, lawmaker, bottom line, strategic?).

If those medical CAs are below $500 then just dispute with EX and TU and it's instant-ish removal similar to an EE. EQ claims to have to wait until 1/1/23 per CSR back in July. I don't have experience on paid or $500+ ones. Good luck!

Message 9 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Vuby22 wrote:

I don't think it is a law. It was a PSA from the big 3 due to some type of influence (press, lobby, lawmaker, bottom line, strategic?).

If those medical CAs are below $500 then just dispute with EX and TU and it's instant-ish removal similar to an EE. EQ claims to have to wait until 1/1/23 per CSR back in July. I don't have experience on paid or $500+ ones. Good luck!

Right, it's not a law, but a new set of rules the CRAs themselves came up with.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.