Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soooo bummed right now...please help

tag
JLL2104
Contributor

Soooo bummed right now...please help

So, I started rebuilding a year or so ago. I didn’t start reading this board until about a month ago...regretfully. Anyway:
I subscribed to myFICO and my score showed about what I thought was accurate. It’s been fun watching it rise. Thought I was making actual progress. Until tonight....
Was given a number to call the actual, official credit bureau ran by the government. I’m looking for dates when my 3 negatives fall off.
Anyhow, called Equifax and was talked into subscribing with them. So I did. You can imagine my shock and disappointment when I saw the scores. They are 100 points lower!!!! AND...I can’t find the dates I’m looking for.
Please give me some explanation and encouragement. I sooo need it right now
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Soooo bummed right now...please help

Those aren’t FICO scores. Don’t worry about them. Cancel the sub. You can get your credit reports for free (1 per year per CRA). Go to www.annualcreditreport.com for the reports. These should have the dates.
Message 2 of 12
JLL2104
Contributor

FICO is all that matters? Is it normal to have a 100 point difference?
Message 3 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Some banks use vantagescore, but almost all use fico.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would advise the OP get real score like thru myfico for accurate scores.
Message 5 of 12
JLL2104
Contributor

I checked for the dates...didn’t see a specifically stated date. However, I do see Date of first delinquency. Do I simply add 7 years to that?
Message 6 of 12
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@JLL2104 wrote:
I checked for the dates...didn’t see a specifically stated date. However, I do see Date of first delinquency. Do I simply add 7 years to that?

yes. DOFD is what you want to know. 

Message 7 of 12
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Go to the Experian website and do their $1 7-day trial. You'll see all 3 of your actual FICO scores, plus all your reports. Your annual credit report will provide you with the DoFD for all 3 bureaus. I know one will say something like "Remains on report until" and some will say "Date of First Delinquency". Also, if you call the bureaus, they can tell you the date when it'll fall off as well.

The reason your scores were lower is because that was the Vantage 3.0 scoring model. Most lenders don't use them and a lot of folks call them FAKO scores around here. The ones you really want to pay attention to are the FICO scores, as most lenders use those (although there are different models of FICO as well:  FICO 8, FICO 9, etc.). My FAKO scores are about 60 points lower than my FICO scores, so I usually just ignore them.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 8 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Any collection or charge-off has a required exclusion date of no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD.  See FCRA 605(c).

The CRAs will normally show an expected exclusion at 7 years from the DOFD, but they have up to 7 years plus 180 days for exclusion of a collection or charge-off.

Monthly delinquencies have an exclusion date that is covered by the broad catch-all provisions of FCRA 605(a)(5) which specifies a 7 year exclusion period.

However, the date of begin of the 7 year period is subject to differing interpretations.

One CRA (EX) interprets date of delinquency that begins the 7 year exclusion period as being the date of first delinquency, with all subsequent monthly delinquencies in the same chain being excluded at 7 years from DOFD.  That interpretation is clearly discussed on their web page.

You may get a different interpretation by the other two CRAs of the exclusion statute for monthly delinquencies (which is under FCRA 605(a)(5)), which might result in each reported delinquency being separately excluded after 7 years from its own individual month/yr of reporting.

There is no case law which provides consistent interpretation of the exclusion of monthly delinquencies under the broad provisions of section 605(a)(5).

Message 9 of 12
JLL2104
Contributor

Also, if you call the bureaus, they can tell you the date when it'll fall off as well.

How can I speak with someone at the bureaus?

Again, thank you all so much for the helpful information
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.