Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan mess

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loan mess

Finally sort-of located my st loan.  (BAD NEWS) It was filed with the government for collections.  NOW what??  I want to make payments and get it out of default but I STILL dont know who to contact!!   I dont want them taking my tax return..................
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Re: Student loan mess

Are the loans in default?

The IRS can intercept any income tax refund you may be entitled to until your student loans are paid in full. This is one of the most popular methods of collecting on defaulted loans, and the Department of Education annually collects hundreds of millions of dollars this way.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, 2 of them are in default.  My loans were sold several times and split up.  I thought I had been paying them all until I got my CR for the first time last week.  2 havent been paid in 4 years!

How can I get to them or who can I contact ifthey have been sent to the Govern for collections?  Or am I just out of luck on this one?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Contact Dept of ed ed.gov
Get a payment plan in place- make 9 on-time payments to get them out of default.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask to for your loan to go into rehabilitation....depending on the loan your loan can rehabilitate in 9 or 12 months after you make monthly on time payments. Your payments can be as low as $40 or $50/month.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.