Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Theft and Reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Theft and Reporting

End of July someone went on an opening spree and quickly racked up debt in my name. It was flagged within a couple of hours of them starting and I locked all three reports so they couldn't continue. The investigation came back it wasn't me (surprise, surprise) and they are clearing everything off my reports including inquiries. From what I see everything is gone, buy my scores have not bounced back and it has been 2 week since the reports cleared. So, why hasn't my scores returned to their pre fraud levels and how long is it going to take? I don't appreciate the ongoing punishment for someone else's doing... :-/

Nothing else has changed mind you. No new legit cards, balances stayed azeo with it under 5% , etc.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
iv
Valued Contributor

Re: Theft and Reporting

Are any of your actual accounts marked as in-dispute currently? (Could have happened if the fraudulent accounts were with the same issuer as one of your real accounts...)

If so, those accounts won't be counting towards your scores.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 2 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The CRA's do updates like banks do. It may not be instantly. But it will happen and it depends on where your getting your monitoring reports from also.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a fraud alert on my reports, but nothing legit is under dispute.

If the accounts and HPs are off my reports, doesn't that mean the banks updated? Otherwise the accounts would still show. Being it took them three months, seems like more than long enough. Checking with cct, credit karma and a couple other places but all reflect the same. CCT shows all three bureaus.
Message 4 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Any updates to this situation?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing yet. Going to pull again about the 15th and if still not back up with everything as it should be, I won't know what to do unless it requires time to rebuild even after something like this that had nothing to do with you.
Message 6 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

More than likely it should update on your next pull. Since you dont see it any longer on the vantage sites. Good Luck! Let us know the outcome!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just pulled all three reports. The accounts are gone but hard pulls are still on Equifax. Gone from TU and EX. Scores are still low. 724 for EX and TU. 707 for EQ. They were at 755+...

Utilization shows 1%, as always. Accounts in great standing. AAofA 11 years. No collections. Ugh. I am very unhappy I seem to be getting punished for someone else's fraud attempt. Put in dispute on HP's as they were suppose to be gone, but don't know what else to do here but wait for them to rebuild up. Looking to get a new car in the Spring, it earlier, and want to qualify for the 0% Apr, which I am now worried about hitting.
Fraud attempt was July 29th. Frozen and notified immediately it was not me. 5 accounts (they were fast with those gift cards).
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Something somewhere, pull from annualcreditreport.com, scrutinize closely.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.