Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Frame?

tag
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

Time Frame?

I got an alert from my credit monitoring service about a new hard inquiry yesterday from my local credit union. I haven't applied for any loans or credit cards from them, so I immediately call them and question them about it. After speaking to a couple people and stating that they somehow couldn't locate it (they told me that they mainly pull Equifax), they finally found it and apologized. They told me that they are in the process of removing it from my CR.

My question is, how long does it take for a lender to remove the unauthorized inquiry? How long will it take until it updates on my CR? It was Transunion, by the way.

I appreciate any input!

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Re: Time Frame?

It should happen very quickly. I would say less than a week. It is bizarre that they "mistakenly" hard pulled your credit report. Did  they offer you an explanation other than it was a mistake?

Message 2 of 5
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

@dddewdrop wrote:

It should happen very quickly. I would say less than a week. It is bizarre that they "mistakenly" hard pulled your credit report. Did  they offer you an explanation other than it was a mistake?

No explanation. I do bank with them and have a loan that will be paid off come May of this year. I've had that loan since 12/2007 and they haven't done any HPs until now.

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It was not actually an unauthorized inquiry.  Your current creditors have permissible purpose to pull your CR at any time to conduct internal review of your credit.

It was a simple mis-coding of their inquiry.  Specific codes are provided for creditors to make inquiries for intenal account reviews.

Message 4 of 5
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

It was not actually an unauthorized inquiry.  Your current creditors have permissible purpose to pull your CR at any time to conduct internal review of your credit.

It was a simple mis-coding of their inquiry.  Specific codes are provided for creditors to make inquiries for intenal account reviews.

But 6 years after the fact? I've seen them do SPs from time to time, but this is the first HP since I acquired the loan through them. It really does not make sense since I've never missed a payment and its almost paid off.

I guess it must be a miscoding. I know HPs only take a few points off your credit score, but I'd rather use it on something worthwhile like a new CC or CLI. It feels like I took a HP for nothing Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.