Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two collections on the same debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two collections on the same debt?

Ok, so i am a newb, but I just pulled my CR and it looks as if two different collection agencies are trying to collect on the same debt.  Unfortunately, I am not sure what debt this is because neither CA has a name listed and only the last for digits of my account are listed.  Is this legal?  Also, all of my debt is old and coming from collections--none of the original accounts are listed.  How do I go about finding the original lenders? or even the addresses of the CA's that are listed--Credrecinc? Portfolio?  I would like to DV them because I know for a fact that the last deliquent payment on any of these accounts has been over 7 years November of 2000--even though the last known activity on them all seems to be from June 2001-Feb. 2002.  I havent spoken to any of the CA's in over seven years.

My husband wants to pay off the debt, but we really dont have the money--It looks like they are about ready to fall off.

Also, I was not able to pull my TU or Exparian due to a lack of activity. Am I still able to get those through mail?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Two collections on the same debt?

mbush12 wrote:
Ok, so i am a newb, but I just pulled my CR and it looks as if two different collection agencies are trying to collect on the same debt.  Unfortunately, I am not sure what debt this is because neither CA has a name listed and only the last for digits of my account are listed.  Is this legal?  Also, all of my debt is old and coming from collections--none of the original accounts are listed.  How do I go about finding the original lenders? or even the addresses of the CA's that are listed--Credrecinc? Portfolio?  I would like to DV them because I know for a fact that the last deliquent payment on any of these accounts has been over 7 years November of 2000--even though the last known activity on them all seems to be from June 2001-Feb. 2002.  I havent spoken to any of the CA's in over seven years.

My husband wants to pay off the debt, but we really dont have the money--It looks like they are about ready to fall off.

Also, I was not able to pull my TU or Exparian due to a lack of activity. Am I still able to get those through mail?

It happens alot that two CA report the same debt. When one buys it, they report, then they sell and the other begins reporting. The first one is supposed to remove the debt. It is not legal for 2 CAs to report the same debt. An OC and a CA can both report.

If past SOL, send DV to each one. IF they provide proper validation then it will show who the OC is. Once you find out who is collecting for who, get the proper evidence that they are past CRTP and dispute on basis of "FRCA Complaince Date"

Chances are that they will accept a settlement for a lot less than original amount if they are that old and past SOL.

You should be able to get TU and EX through the mail......did it give you a number or address when it said you couldn't access them?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.  I would like to DV all of the bad marks on my credit (there are 7).  Some of the CA's I have found addresses for, but Creditrec lists its address in a cemetary should I even bother?

Also, I do not have names for the CA's that have sent my accounts to collections--they are only listed as numbers.  Is there anyway of finding out which agencies these are?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

mbush12 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.  I would like to DV all of the bad marks on my credit (there are 7).  Some of the CA's I have found addresses for, but Creditrec lists its address in a cemetary should I even bother?

Also, I do not have names for the CA's that have sent my accounts to collections--they are only listed as numbers.  Is there anyway of finding out which agencies these are?

Creditrec? Where did you pull your reports from? If you haven't already try pulling them from www.annualcreditreport.com  Most ppl are allowed 1 free report from each agency once a year. I know when it was being put into effect, different states began having access before others. I am unsure if all states have access yet or not. The OC's should show there. And addresses.

The DV goes to a CA not an OC. You can always call the CRA and give the account number and ask for details on the account.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.