Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two files with Equifax?

tag
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Two files with Equifax?

Ok, so I check my reports every day using CCT. Today, I could not access my reports so I called CCT and they said the problem lies within Equifax and gave me a number to call. After 45 minutes (20 of which was pure hold time), I have learned that I had too many soft inquiries (the obsessed self checker) and now have a second file created and the second file has no SS associated with it or needs confirmation (not really sure).   I now have to send Equifax a letter with my W2's (don't have an SS card handy) and my driver's license asking them to put my SS on this second file.  The Rep told me that there isn't anything on the second report except one inquiry from today and that all of my TL's are still on the older one file - the second file doesn't have any tradelines, so why is there a second file, to house the softs? IDK.   FYI: Rep said the maximum number of TL's for one file, that EQ can handle is 80.

What would happen if I didn't write this letter to Equifax and provide them with my W2 information (I am not fond of sending ANYONE my W2's)? I would just not be able to pull my reports? But what if I applied for credit? would this  hinder my ability to get credit if the potential lender would only use EQ?

thanks in advance.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Two files with Equifax?

You have what's called a split file. One of the biggest causes of this is too many soft pulls. The file gets too big and they have to start a second one. Here is a little info on it:

Equifax: On the mortgage side when the files are split, the files are received as Equifax 1 and Equifax 2. What is different is that on the credit report are two credit scores, one for each file. But it is all merged on the mortgage reports. These are very complicated.

1. It may very well be all of the consumer's information that just got split because two names were used. For example, a married name verses maiden name. If that is the case, Equifax advises to add both scores and divide by two for the end score to be used. But also follow up informing Equifax that the file needs to be re-merged.
  2. Other splits may be by common name, for example father and son, where there are two people making up the files. These need to be unmixed.
  3. Consumers using and pulling their personal credit report on a daily basis from monitoring services can cause problems, compiling soft hits to the credit report. If the file gets too large, Equifax cannot handle it and will result in a split file. Some accounts will show on one credit report while other accounts show on another credit report.

I personally believe you should get this corrected, because down the road it could become a problem if new trade lines ended up on the second file rather than just that 1 inquiry.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Message 2 of 3
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Re: Two files with Equifax?

CDTotten - thanks for the information. I will just take care of it. I'm wondering if that is the reason that EQ removed my two mortgages - they were due to fall off in August not June!! Although rep said that second file only has the inquiry in it, no other tl's for now.

I appreciate your response.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.