Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized purchase on Chase Debit card

tag
LuckyB338
Regular Contributor

Unauthorized purchase on Chase Debit card

Hello everyone,

I logged into my checking acc today and saw a purchase made in the amount of $14.48 listed as "POS DEBIT OTC BRANDS INC 800-2280475 NE". I Immediatly called chase and reported the issue and they cancelled my card. However, I am still worried about the possible affects this can have on me long term. Any adivce on precautionary measures or what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Unauthorized purchase on Chase Debit card

More than likely it was not ID theft and the just got a hold of youre CC but to be sure you can either freeze all your CR or better monitor your credit.  Many banks and CUs offer discount ID theft monitoring also.  You should be fine credit wise as long as your are proactive.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 5
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Was this in regards to a Chase credit or debit card? It seems by the description that it was a debit card, which just means that somebody got your card information, easy fix for chase by just canceling the card.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 3 of 5
LuckyB338
Regular Contributor

I was thinking about freezing my reports but I’m on track to apply for CSR in Aug, so I’m gonna hold off for the time being. I do monitor all three reports each week, if there is anything unusual I will place a freeze. Chase has already refunded me the money, so I figured police report doesn’t need to be filed either. I’m just glad I caught it when I did. Hopefully this will be the end of all this bs.
Message 4 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@LuckyB338 wrote:
I was thinking about freezing my reports but I’m on track to apply for CSR in Aug, so I’m gonna hold off for the time being. I do monitor all three reports each week, if there is anything unusual I will place a freeze. Chase has already refunded me the money, so I figured police report doesn’t need to be filed either. I’m just glad I caught it when I did. Hopefully this will be the end of all this bs.

FWIW freezing your reports wouldn't have prevented this anyway... all a freeze does is make it where others can't apply for new credit in your name.

I've had a credit card number compremised a couple of times in the last year; it's a pain but it's not the end of the world.  Glad to hear Chase was able to make you whole without delay.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.