cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using one CB’s successful dispute for the same dispute at another CB?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using one CB’s successful dispute for the same dispute at another CB?

How would you use the successful results of a dispute at one credit reporting agency for the same account misreporting at another agency?

eg, Equifax correctly fixed a misreporting account on my CR. But that error is still on the other two bureaus. Can I use the results from Equifax as evidence for my dispute with Experian and TransUnion? 

thank you!!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using one CB’s successful dispute for the same dispute at another CB?

Definitely! Take the stand the one got it right.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely! Take the stand the one got it right.

How would you go about it? Print out the dispute and use that as a copy? 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That may work. Question what they need to arrive at the same decision.

Message 4 of 11
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How would you use the successful results of a dispute at one credit reporting agency for the same account misreporting at another agency?

eg, Equifax correctly fixed a misreporting account on my CR. But that error is still on the other two bureaus. Can I use the results from Equifax as evidence for my dispute with Experian and TransUnion? 

thank you!!

You probably could use the evidence that helped them arrive at the conclusion to correct the misreporting.

Any other documentation you could provide would also additionally help out your case.

Whenever I have disputed something Equifax was always the hardest nut for me to crack. Going with that as a premise you may be successful with the other two agencies.  As always YMMV (your miles may vary).

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow thanks!! Tho I guess what I'm trying to ask is this imaginary conversation with TU and EX: "Look see, Equifax dropped it. Here is their report. Now you drop it." Like is the fact that equifax did it enough for the other two, or do I need to do the same work I did for equifax, mooting the fact that equifax did it? 

Message 6 of 11
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow thanks!! Tho I guess what I'm trying to ask is this imaginary conversation with TU and EX: "Look see, Equifax dropped it. Here is their report. Now you drop it." Like is the fact that equifax did it enough for the other two, or do I need to do the same work I did for equifax, mooting the fact that equifax did it? 

The reason I said any other supporting docs is that they probably will not correct JUST on the merit that another agency corrected BUT it will not hurt and could possibly help including Equifax results and additionally  you following the procedure you utilized with Equifax for your success.

Good Luck with your mission!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The reason I said any other supporting docs is that they probably will not correct JUST on the merit that another agency corrected BUT it will not hurt and could possibly help including Equifax results and additionally  you following the procedure you utilized with Equifax for your success.

Good Luck with your mission!

That's what I was thinking too, Thank you!! 

Message 8 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No, a dispute resolution with one CRA cannot be used with other CRAs as evidence supporting deletion with those CRAs.

A dispute must be referred to the furnisher of the disputed information (e.g., creditor or debt collector) for their investigation and reply back to the referring CRA.

If the furnisher does not respond back to the CRA, or responds that they are not verifying, the CRA will then eithre correct or delete as their final reinvestigation, and send the results to the consumer.  They furnisher can choose to do so merely to remove their reporting.  It may not necessarily be done because they factually agree that the reporting is inaccurate or cannot be corrected.

The FCRA places the burden on the furnisher, if they make an actual finding of inaccuracy or inability to verify the accuracy, to separately and explicitly report that same correction or deletion to any other CRA to which they have also reported the disputed information.  See FCRA 623(b)(1)(D). 

The burden is thus on the furnisher to report any agreed inaccuracy to other CRAs, and the other CRAs wont accept the simply finding of a dispute resolution a first CRA as indication that the disputed iformation is factually inaccurate and cannot be corrected.

If you know that the furnisher actually made a finding that the information cannot be verified or corrected (as opposed to only a finding by a CRA, such as due to no response from the furnisher), you can contact the furnisher and remind them of their responsibility to additionally correct or delete the disputed information from all other CRAs.  It is not necessary to then dispute with each other CRA unlless the furnisher refuses to comply with their statutory responsibility.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @RobertEG for this explanation. I felt this was the right answer, but wished it was the other answer :-) 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.