Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility company sent threatening letter over unpaid deposit

tag
user979797
Established Contributor

Utility company sent threatening letter over unpaid deposit

I am hoping someone can please help answer this for me. I applied on Aug 9th for utilities to be transfered to my name with my local utility company. They said i would have to pay a deposit up front of 250.00 before they could connect services. I found out later that day that the house is being sold and i wont be living there so i never paid the deposit. On Aug 14th they sent a letter i got yesterday saying I owe 250.00 and if i dont pay they are turning me over to collections. The letter also states they sent a billing statement and its now past due; which they did not it was literally 5 days before this letter that i applied for new service.

Is this truly a valid debt being that it was a refundable deposit to establish service and service was never established or connected? If they do report it couldn't i dispute it from my reports due to these circumstances?  Can my application alone justify their trying to collect to the credit bureaus?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated i am worried about it. 

Thank you in advance.

>
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MissLiz
Established Contributor

Re: Utility company sent threatening letter over unpaid deposit

Your first step should be to contact their accounting department directly to rectify this. Obviously there was an error on their end somewhere and you're better off getting this resolved now than waiting for it to hit your report, then having to dispute. 

“A woman’s best protection is a little money of her own.” – Clare Boothe Luce
Message 2 of 5
user979797
Established Contributor

I will call them when they open monday since monday is the last day before they say it is turned over. I was just trying to get some reassurances before then given the dates and how ridiculous this all is.

They are a crappy utility company and they take advantage of customers often and i just didn't want to call and they somehow say it's valid for some strange reason and i have to pay or be turned over so i was hoping for advice or insight on this matter before i am able to talk to someone about it. Thank you for the reply

>
Message 3 of 5
MissLiz
Established Contributor

It's a crappy situation and I hope you're able to get it sorted out. Best of luck and keep us posted on the outcome!

“A woman’s best protection is a little money of her own.” – Clare Boothe Luce
Message 4 of 5
FicoMike0
Valued Contributor

Did you cancel the request for service?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.