Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization

Hi,

If I have 8 credit cards and 3 of them have a zero balance, do the zero balanced cards still count in the utilization (if looking to get a mortgage)?  My thoughts were yes, since the cards are 'active', but, I wanted to get confirmation.

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utilization

if they are open yes
Message 2 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Absolutely

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also worth of noting here is that even if those 3 accounts (cards) were closed, as long as they were closed within the last 10 years they'd still be positively impacting your AAoA.

Closed accounts are still factored into your AAoA for 10 years.

Message 4 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

A zero balance doesn't exclude a revolving account from revolving utilization.  One reason for the suggestion "allow only one balance to report with extremely low revolving utilization" for eking out additional points when applying for new credit, etc is that having the other accounts at 0 help to keep overall revolving utilization low.

Closed revolving accounts with balances also impact revolving utilization.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Closed revolving accounts with balances also impact revolving utilization"
This is the worst kind of utilization as the limit is essentially 0 making it maxed out until paid off.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.