cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weirdest "game" you have done with your credit to keep you on track?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weirdest "game" you have done with your credit to keep you on track?

Ok so this might just me being weird (I know it is) but what "games" have you done to keep you on track credit wise? That seems like a werid question but I will give you two examples:

1) I have been paying off very high Util cc's that have been maxed forever and every statement cut I put a grade by it in a word doc, and think if I can "flunk" even more the next month. For example my Chase Freedom was at 101% util and I was the head of the class, but over the next few months I challenged myself to "flunk" by lowering my util a bunch in a short period of time, now its :failing at 40%.

2)I hate inquiries, but always seem to have a lot on my report because I just cant help it. So I have been starting to count the days since my last inquiry and then equating that to the episode # in my favorite show (Supernatural) and now I am 42 days since my last inquiry for my auto loan...or almost to the end of season 2 lol. I want to get to at least season 13 (287 days) before apping again.

I apologize, this is a mix of being super slow at work, and me being extremely tired.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weirdest "game" you have done with your credit to keep you on track?

I must say the series episode to inquiry correlation has got to be one of the more creative ones I've heard!

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ever play credit card roulette? You and a group of friends go out to have a steak dinner. When the bill comes you each throw one credit card in a hat and have the waiter pick one out to put the entire bill on. 

Message 3 of 11
iced
Valued Contributor

Can't say I've done anything crazy, really. Perhaps the closest to a game was back in 2015 when I tried to see how much of a negative balance I could have on a card. Had a Chase card post a statement with just under a -3000 balance one month. The app displayed the balance in red and wouldn't let me make any payments until after the balance went positive again.

The dinner idea sounds interesting. Next time I'm at dinner with friends and multiple people insist on buying, I might just propose we use a hat to decide.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've on occasion asked a bartender to flip a coin for their tip.  Win and I tip 100% of the tab (usually quite large).  Lose and the tip is $0.  The catch is if they agree to play, I still tip 100% if they lose, but if they're too chicken to play, I give my standard tip of 25-30%.  Made some happy bartenders before when they see the credit canard slip.

Message 5 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so this might just me being weird (I know it is) but what "games" have you done to keep you on track credit wise? That seems like a werid question but I will give you two examples:

1) I have been paying off very high Util cc's that have been maxed forever and every statement cut I put a grade by it in a word doc, and think if I can "flunk" even more the next month. For example my Chase Freedom was at 101% util and I was the head of the class, but over the next few months I challenged myself to "flunk" by lowering my util a bunch in a short period of time, now its :failing at 40%.

2)I hate inquiries, but always seem to have a lot on my report because I just cant help it. So I have been starting to count the days since my last inquiry and then equating that to the episode # in my favorite show (Supernatural) and now I am 42 days since my last inquiry for my auto loan...or almost to the end of season 2 lol. I want to get to at least season 13 (287 days) before apping again.

I apologize, this is a mix of being super slow at work, and me being extremely tired.

I would say the weirdest game I've played is the "reindeer game"... taking out an installment loan I don't need, paying it down to 9% of the amount of the loan, and paying $1 a month thereafter.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 6 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've on occasion asked a bartender to flip a coin for their tip.  Win and I tip 100% of the tab (usually quite large).  Lose and the tip is $0.  The catch is if they agree to play, I still tip 100% if they lose, but if they're too chicken to play, I give my standard tip of 25-30%.  Made some happy bartenders before when they see the credit canard slip.

Any chance you'd had one too many drinks when you came up with this idea?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Any chance you'd had one too many drinks when you came up with this idea?

Me?  Never Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 11
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Once, a long time ago, I had a card that I was about to get in trouble with. I told my mom to bury it somewhere in back.. 3 years later I found it in a potted plant, up until then I forget it was even out there. This was like 25 years ago, cards long closed now. It was a low limit store card.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 9 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I once joined a myfico stampede to get a flavor of the month club cardSmiley Wink
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.