Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Should I Do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What Should I Do?

Hi angel, I highly suggest that you should NOT dispute anything on your credit report that is correct and valid. It can backfire on you with a vengence.

fishbjc is correct. All of your lates occured in the summer of '06, and you are approaching the 2 year mark, and will not hurt your scores as much.

About your only option I know of is to write GoodWill letters. And repeat the process monthly.

Unfortunately, lenders are not required to delete lates if they are valid. But they have the ability to do so, if they care to. Many people here have had varying degrees of success with GW'ing.

Good luck to you! Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an example here.

I had a joint car loan with my ex husband that he was late on a couple of times. I disputed it as not late, ONLY because I thought it was the loan for my car not his (we had 2 loans with the same bank). They validated and the disputed stated that I should call them. I went ahead and when they told me it was for his car I was like "oh bummer, and there's NOTHING you can do to help me?" and she said "sorry we can't remove accurrate information" well, 2 days later it was off my reports. Sometimes "no" means "only if no one sees me do it".

An even BETTER example is just recently. Early last year I had a dental bill go to judgment because I lost their letter with their number on it. I tried to look them up in the Yellow Pages but their business name gave no results (local CA, it turns out they listed it under an accronym). I found the slip and called 2 days after the deadline but the damage was done, but I set up payments and paid it off asap. A few months ago after finding this forum I decided to write a letter to them explaining everything and asking for them to remove the collection account so that I might be able to get the judgment removed. Over 3 months I sent 3 letters, no response whatsoever. I finally just called them and asked if they had received it and they said yes but that they never removed accounts and if there were EVER exceptions that only the owner could make them. I sent my letter to his attention directly and 3 weeks later holy crap it was gone from 2 of the 3 (TU is agonizingly slow to update).

The moral of the story is that it CAN happen, but it WILL take time, and usually several attempts. When re-sending, change up the letter and try other addresses, other departments, or google the creditor to see if you can find a manager's name or something. All it costs is a stamp. Good luck to you. Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yall can call me Bobby. My wife set this up for me and that is the user name she always goes by Smiley Very Happy

Thanks everyone for your encouragement! I really appreciate it.
Message 13 of 18
danikasmom
Regular Contributor

Bobby,
I read your GW letter and if I worked for Chase and got it, I would remove your lates!!!  Smiley Wink
We had a baby daughter on May 22 of 06 and my hubby took off a week and I took off 2 months.  It makes a huge difference in the bank account!!!  But those little buggers are worth it.  We have another one due this June so I am trying to get ahead of the game before this one arrives!

Don't sweat it too much if those don't come off with GW's but I am sure that a lot of them will. 
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks and congrats!

I hope they do. The main reason I'm so concerned is because sometime next year my wife and I are planning to move and they're are so many of them. Not on each account of course. But as a whole it seems real bad. All of the accounts were CC's and I've had a mortgage since 03 which has never been late and a car payment since Nov 06' which has also never been late. The value of the homes in our neighborhood has went down dramatically since we moved here to the point that if we moved today we would only get $2k back out of it and prob. nothing after the selling fees. So I would like to move into a better area and with all of these 30 days I'm scared of not being able to and losing money where we are now.
Message 15 of 18
danikasmom
Regular Contributor

Honestly Bobby, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Just keep sending GW's to all of those creditors and odds are that some of them will help you out.  Especially if you had good history with them before and after those lates.  I have heard of several people getting GW's from Chase.  Maybe not BoA, they are difficult.  But those other ones may just help you out.  Just be persistent and don't get too discouraged.  I did at first but I sent out another round last week.  I will keep doing it until they do it.  I have had perfect payment history for 6-7 years until I messed up in October last year and December as well!!!
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for yalls advice. I have gotten 4 responses already with 3 no's and one YES. I'm about to resend GW's to the no's and was wondering should I just resend a copy of the same letter?
Message 17 of 18
danikasmom
Regular Contributor

Congrats!  See, now you can just take that positive energy and put it into some more of them!  When I sent my second round of them, I sent different letters that were more personalized.  I felt that the ones I got off of here weren't really from "me".  So, do what you feel is best for you.  One, I did take from the format that I got from one of Shnapple's posts that cracked me up.  If you want me to send you the letter, I can copy and send it for you to go off of if you can't find hers.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.