Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What did I do to my credit....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What did I do to my credit....

I've been reading these forums for a while and they are a great source of information.  First post for me though.  I am concerned that my recent credit activity may have damaged my score, but I'm not sure how  to fix it (if it can be).  

In April of this year I had a grand total of 1 account, a 3 1/2 year old student loan.  100% ontime payments.  I figured I'm in my 20s, dependable job, great time to get a credit card!  I found one that I really wanted (total rewards visa) and applied for it.  That's when I found out what a thin file was.  They pulled equifax and denied me.  I tried a recon, but got nothing.  Their helpful advice... get one of our store cards.  No thanks.  

In May, I tried again, this time for a Discover It card.  They pulled Experian (which showed a 713 score) and approved me for 1000 cl.  I was so excited.  Then I found out that I need to keep my credit utilization low, and the credit limit didn't give me much wiggle room.  So I found out about this awesome thing called preapproval, and visited various credit card websites to see If I could get preapproved for any cards.  Only one came back with preapproval, capital one.  I was afraid the offer would go away, so I applied and was instantly approved for the Quicksilver @ 3000 cl.  Yay!

I found out afterwards that capital one hard pulls all three reports.  Ouch.  I've now been watching my credit report like a hawk using Credit Karma and the FICO score issued on my Discover It statements.  First the hard pulls hit, then the the Discover card appeared.  Each time (per credit Karma) my score dropped.  Quicksilver has yet to appear.  Discover It still reports my score at a 727, which seems impossible given my recent activity.  Credit Karma has dropped me to a 691.    

I am concerned that the downward trend will continue.  Especially once the Quicksilver starts reporting.  What should I expect my credit score to do?  When will it start going back up?  Should I hold off on trying to reapply for the total rewards card ( I really want this one, and was hoping to have it before my trip to Vegas in early November)?  I feel like I'm at the mercy of credit reporting agencies and am not sure what I can do.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What did I do to my credit....

Everytime you apply for a credit card or get new credit your score drops. Just keep making ON TIME monthly payments. Never miss one! Your score will go back up. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been reading these forums for a while and they are a great source of information.  First post for me though.  I am concerned that my recent credit activity may have damaged my score, but I'm not sure how  to fix it (if it can be).  

In April of this year I had a grand total of 1 account, a 3 1/2 year old student loan.  100% ontime payments.  I figured I'm in my 20s, dependable job, great time to get a credit card!  I found one that I really wanted (total rewards visa) and applied for it.  That's when I found out what a thin file was.  They pulled equifax and denied me.  I tried a recon, but got nothing.  Their helpful advice... get one of our store cards.  No thanks.  

@Anonymous May, I tried again, this time for a Discover It card.  They pulled Experian (which showed a 713 score) and approved me for 1000 cl.  I was so excited.  Then I found out that I need to keep my credit utilization low, and the credit limit didn't give me much wiggle room.  So I found out about this awesome thing called preapproval, and visited various credit card websites to see If I could get preapproved for any cards.  Only one came back with preapproval, capital one.  I was afraid the offer would go away, so I applied and was instantly approved for the Quicksilver @ 3000 cl.  Yay!

I found out afterwards that capital one hard pulls all three reports.  Ouch.  I've now been watching my credit report like a hawk using Credit Karma and the FICO score issued on my Discover It statements.  First the hard pulls hit, then the the Discover card appeared.  Each time (per credit Karma) my score dropped.  Quicksilver has yet to appear.  Discover It still reports my score at a 727, which seems impossible given my recent activity.  Credit Karma has dropped me to a 691.    

I am concerned that the downward trend will continue.  Especially once the Quicksilver starts reporting.  What should I expect my credit score to do?  When will it start going back up?  Should I hold off on trying to reapply for the total rewards card ( I really want this one, and was hoping to have it before my trip to Vegas in early November)?  I feel like I'm at the mercy of credit reporting agencies and am not sure what I can do.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

Well, this is a very short primer on how to build your credit.

1. You really got lucky getting that Discover IT card to start off with. You didn't have any prior history of CC use and they like to see that history in most cases. The Capital One card is a good beginner card. Most people will qualify for a Cap1 card just starting out.

2. Most good quality rewards cards won't touch you until you have 1 year of experience demonstrating good credit behavior with a minimum of two cards no matter how high your scores are. Lenders look at scores AND history when making lending decisions. Don't worry, after the first couple of years you won't have to worry about history anymore as long as you ALWAYS pay on time. One late will REALLY drag your scores down for a long while and that late will stay on your reports for 7 years. (Years!)

Building a good thick credit profile takes planning and patience, it is a marathon and not a sprint, it takes years.

Builing a thick file requires two things: Scores and history.

This is how you do it:

You started out like most people do in getting a card or two. You happen to have a really good card to start with in the Discover card. Your scores will take a hit for the inquiries, new accounts and damage to your AAoA. After your cards both report, your scores will start climbing month after month and after 6 months they should be back to where you started or higher. So now you have your scores back but you also have 6 months of CC history!

It's decision time...

You should now be able to qualify for most cards besides the top tier cards because you don't have the 1 year of CC history yet. What I'm trying to say is that at this point it would be a roll of the dice to be approved for top tier cards. You might get them, you might be declined.

You need to decide if it is worth the risk to apply for the card you want at this point or wait for a full year of CC history.

At the 1 year point you want to apply for 1 or 2 more cards, wait another 6 months to a year and get another 1 or 2 cards. You want to end up with 5 to 8 credit cards you could see using and keeping for the rest of your life. Do not EVER close these cards as they will be very important to having excellent scores in the future. The CCs age will contribute to your AAoA and your AAoA will always stay high as long as you keep these cards open.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 3 of 9
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Ignore the CK score.  It isn't a score anybody uses.  It is fine to track your progress.   But only compare it to previous CK scores.   Your discover score is a true TU-08 score.   It may not update as often as you like, but it is accurate.

Your real score will probably drop once Cap1 reports.  However, it might not be as much as you think.  Having two CC's will help your score.

It would be best if the two CC's had at least 6 months of reported activity before applying for anything else.  If that is not good enough, google what others scores were when they got approved for the CC you want.  If you meet the requirements or can get pre-qualified before then go for it.  Personally I would try wait.

Message 4 of 9
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Ignore CK score. It's just for educational purposes. Keep UTL low and your score will go up. Many people see jumps in scores when getting their first or second CC. My score went up from that. Won't be surprised if yours does too.

Message 5 of 9
CreditPlay
Frequent Contributor

You score should go up as soon as your youngest account is 6mnths + .you can monitor all 3 reports by registering at credit.com, creditsesame.com, quizzle.com. Keep making payments and keep your util low, you should be good in no time.

FICO08 12/2014EQ 777TU 799EX 767

Message 6 of 9
TheFate
Established Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous May, I tried again, this time for a Discover It card.  They pulled Experian (which showed a 713 score) and approved me for 1000 cl.  I was so excited.  Then I found out that I need to keep my credit utilization low, and the credit limit didn't give me much wiggle room.  So I found out about this awesome thing called preapproval, and visited various credit card websites to see If I could get preapproved for any cards.  Only one came back with preapproval, capital one.  I was afraid the offer would go away, so I applied and was instantly approved for the Quicksilver @ 3000 cl.  Yay!

Well, this is a very short primer on how to build your credit.

1. You really got lucky getting that Discover IT card to start off with. You didn't have any prior history of CC use and they like to see that history in most cases. The Capital One card is a good beginner card. Most people will qualify for a Cap1 card just starting out.

2. Most good quality rewards cards won't touch you until you have 1 year of experience demonstrating good credit behavior with a minimum of two cards no matter how high your scores are. Lenders look at scores AND history when making lending decisions. Don't worry, after the first couple of years you won't have to worry about history anymore as long as you ALWAYS pay on time. One late will REALLY drag your scores down for a long while and that late will stay on your reports for 7 years. (Years!)

Building a good thick credit profile takes planning and patience, it is a marathon and not a sprint, it takes years.

Builing a thick file requires two things: Scores and history.

This is how you do it:

You started out like most people do in getting a card or two. You happen to have a really good card to start with in the Discover card. Your scores will take a hit for the inquiries, new accounts and damage to your AAoA. After your cards both report, your scores will start climbing month after month and after 6 months they should be back to where you started or higher. So now you have your scores back but you also have 6 months of CC history!

It's decision time...

You should now be able to qualify for most cards besides the top tier cards because you don't have the 1 year of CC history yet. What I'm trying to say is that at this point it would be a roll of the dice to be approved for top tier cards. You might get them, you might be declined.

You need to decide if it is worth the risk to apply for the card you want at this point or wait for a full year of CC history.

At the 1 year point you want to apply for 1 or 2 more cards, wait another 6 months to a year and get another 1 or 2 cards. You want to end up with 5 to 8 credit cards you could see using and keeping for the rest of your life. Do not EVER close these cards as they will be very important to having excellent scores in the future. The CCs age will contribute to your AAoA and your AAoA will always stay high as long as you keep these cards open.

Everything was great advice up untill you recom to apply for only 1 to 2 cards at the 1 year mark , wait another 6 months to a year and get another 1 or 2 cards. I dont see any benefit to this.

My advice, Once you hit the 1 year mark go on an app spree and get all the cards you want out the way so they can all age together instead of having your AAoA keep taking a hit by applying for cards every 6 months.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, i already joined credit sesame, kind of annoyed that they only update once a month though.  Their fako score for me is really low too, down in the 660s, I'm not puting much faith in them.  

Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW building out of a thin file situation, FICO wise you'll probably get straight boosts from your first two credit cards.

I subscribe to what TheFate suggests as well: open 2-3 revolving accounts, wait a year keeping your report clean, and then go pickup whatever entry-level rewards cards make sense for you; the Discover IT and Cap 1 QS are both *excellent* starter cards: hard to do better than that for anyone new to credit though your current student loans helped you likely non-trivially on both.  

Anyway regardless, congrats on making a couple of excellent steps forward towards fully establishing your credit!

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.