Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with Judgement???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do with Judgement???

I have a question for anyone that has an opinion. I am married and my wife got about six loans through her former employers credit union. My problem is she signed my name on each of the loan forms along with her name. She does not work there anymore and now there is a Judgement in both of our names since she did not continue making the payments. I found out about the Judgement when I signed up for myfico. I went to courthouse today and picked up certified copies of the file with all of the forged signatures on it. I want to know if I should send this to each of the CRA along with a copy of my driver's license which has my actual signature on it or will that end up causing us more problems. Judgement is about $9500 so it is not something I could just pay off. I want this thing removed. Thanks for any advice.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you live in a community property state, you're almost...

If you live in a community property state, you're almost certainly out of luck because you share in marital debt even if you didn't sign for it.

If you're not...

The only thing you can do to get this off is to start the full identity theft process, i.e. file a police report, then hire a lawyer to get the judgment removed against you. This may mean she'll be arrested.

Also, if you (or the marital community) benefited from the proceeds of the loans, the point is probably moot, because it's likely the judgment won't be overturned.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good points. Thanks for your help!

Good points. Thanks for your help!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Community property probably applies if you are in a commu...

Community property probably applies if you are in a community property state. Then again, forgery is forgery. This might be worth consulting an attorney over regardless.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in Minnesota, which I do not think is a community...

I live in Minnesota, which I do not think is a community property state. I think I will call an attorney to find out what my options are.... Oh by the way, she is getting garnished for this debt at her new job. Seems strange to me if "I" am responsible for this debt that they are not garnishing my check too.
Thanks
Message 5 of 6
antredd67
Contributor

Spouse's credit

My wife had an almost $3000 balance with a finance company that she just didn't pay because of extra fees that they kept charging her after she closed the account. To make a long story short, this was one of those sub prime credit card companies who charged you monthly fees, as well as annual fees.  Even after my wife closed this account, the company kept charging her fees, telling her that she still owed them a balance, that grew over 3 years to $3,000. What a nightmare.
   The company found her or should I say us and told her that they would put a lien against our house if she didn't pay the bill.  What I am upset about is that I was not the authorized user, nor joint on her account, and they threatened to go after me.  To resolve this matter, I had to transfer that balance to one of my credit cards, hurting my fico score. They are still reporting on her credit report that was was more than 90 days past due.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.