Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats considered a thick file?

tag
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Whats considered a thick file?

Speaking of backdating...i was an au on amex green back in 97...if i open an amex now would i get the backdating even if i was only an au?

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 11 of 26
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Yes, that's true. The key is keeping your apps down ( or add backdate Amex cards). Also, keeping a few more than 2 TLs on your report. Smiley Wink

Funny how gardening is the answer to everything. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@djc1puno

Yes, if you were an AU, your card should be backdated to '97
Message 13 of 26
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Thanks lexie!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 14 of 26
dta
New Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:
Now are you guys just talking about cc aaoa's? Ive had students appear back in 97 and a few cards after that in early 2000 but have since been closed as paid...still appearing un my crs. Now my oldest open cc is a little over 3 years...but my aaoa on ck is 10 months but other free sites such as credit.com it takes my history as a whole when showing aaoa. Just a bit confused...heh

Curious if anyone knows the answer to this one (if you're talking about student loans from 97) as far as helping your file. I have student loans dated back to 98 so my aaoa on CMS sites is 9-10 yrs. Just don't know whether it matters for FICO. I've seen this stated both ways. My balances are pretty small at this point and I could pay them off more quickly, but due to the number of accounts and aaoa, they appear to be helping. The rate is only 2.1% so I'm not losing much by paying as scheduled.

Freedom | BofA CR | Amex BCE | NFCU CR | CSP | Fidelity Amex | Citi AA Plat | Discover it | Amex PRG | US Airways Prem | SW RR Plus | Delta Gold | Citi Double Cash | WF Propel 360 | Chase BA
Message 15 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@dta

I have SL on my bureaus from forever! My paid mtg fell off of EQ and TU last year and my SL are keeping my AAOA over 6 yrs. I owe less than $3000 now and my rate is low too. I'm going to pay them off this year but I held on to them as long as I could. Smiley Sad
Message 16 of 26
dta
New Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@dta

I have SL on my bureaus from forever! My paid mtg fell off of EQ and TU last year and my SL are keeping my AAOA over 6 yrs. I owe less than $3000 now and my rate is low too. I'm going to pay them off this year but I held on to them as long as I could. Smiley Sad

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll take advantage of them as long as I can. Kinda weird to not want to be debt-free even though I could be.

Freedom | BofA CR | Amex BCE | NFCU CR | CSP | Fidelity Amex | Citi AA Plat | Discover it | Amex PRG | US Airways Prem | SW RR Plus | Delta Gold | Citi Double Cash | WF Propel 360 | Chase BA
Message 17 of 26
Buckeye07
Established Member

I have 15 accounts, credit history of 4 years 6 months, AAoA 2 yrs 6 months.  I just went on an app spree and will have 4 new accounts reporting month...My question is, although I know my AAoA will go down, will these 4 new accounts raise red flags if I try to app for cc in january? Or do creditors just look at the AAoA value rather than if there are any recently opened ones? 

Also will 6 months be enough time to begin applying for cards again with regard to inquiries?  I have had 5 inquiries in the last 2 weeks and 14 in the last two years.

Message 18 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Buckeye07

They will look at both on manual review. New accts are a big issue for some lenders (Chase, Barclays) and some are not so sensitive. Inq's stop counting against your FICO after 1 yr. IMO, I'd would look at the CL's being approved as a indication it's time to give your reports a breather. Toy limits aren't really with HP's
Message 19 of 26
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
IMO, 6+ years
+1 According to my recent FICO CR, I read somewhere that AAoA 6+ years is a positive factor.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.