cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Does Experian Remove Inquiries?

tag
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

Re: When Does Experian Remove Inquiries?

Oh not at all.  I need another credit card like I need a hole in the head.  I'm just asking for general knowledge.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 11 of 20
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@BigBS wrote:

EX drops inquiries the first Saturday of the month following 24 months, so some may actually stay for 25 months and some 24 months and a few days depending on the calendar.  As was said the effect is generally gone after 12 months.

Yesterday was the first Saturday of the month following 24 months and they have still not dropped off.  So this information didn't turn out to be accurate.  At least not in this case.  Perhaps Experian's policy has changed.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 12 of 20
iv
Valued Contributor

@Asilomar wrote:

@BigBS wrote:

EX drops inquiries the first Saturday of the month following 24 months, so some may actually stay for 25 months and some 24 months and a few days depending on the calendar.  As was said the effect is generally gone after 12 months.

Yesterday was the first Saturday of the month following 24 months and they have still not dropped off.  So this information didn't turn out to be accurate.  At least not in this case.  Perhaps Experian's policy has changed.  

Did you pull a fresh Experian report today, or were you expecting an alert?

(Generally speaking, alerts don't trigger on the removal of items from a report, just on some types of updates and additions.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still have an inquiry hanging on at Experian that was two years old on August 20th. I just updated Experian and it is still there. I wish they did a better job.

Message 14 of 20
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting!  My guess is that if they do not fall off in the next two business days, then EX will remove them by the 2nd of the following month (Sept 2 in this case).

Just as an FYI, all your inquiries lost all scoring impact when they turned 1 year old.  So exactly when they fall off your report won't matter much.

What about a 30-day late that should fall off before the year is out? Does that help the score at all? 

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 15 of 20
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

iv, I pulled a fresh report.
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 16 of 20
iv
Valued Contributor

@Asilomar wrote:
iv, I pulled a fresh report.

Interesting. So they haven't yet run the purge for the month - I wonder if it's due to the first Saturday also being the first of the month, or being a holiday weekend... or that their schedule isn't as set in stone as some people believe.

Either way, it will be gone at some point this month, and (as I'm sure you know) hasn't been counting for FICO scoring for over a year.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 17 of 20
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

I know these inquiries don't effect my score but they can certainly effect the algorithms negatively (too many inquiries!) and of course upon visual inspection.

But it's all academic anyway because my interest in this topic is strictly educational; I'm always trying to learn something new.  And in this case, particularly when it pertains to my own file, it's just one more topic I have a good grasp of. 

I had a string of consecutive late payments on an old car loan and as I watched them fall away I had a good time learning each CRA's pattern.  TU removes 2 months early at the end of the first week, EQ removes 3 months early right on the 1st, and EX... I don't know.  Mysteriously EX removed the entire string when the first one aged out.  I'm down to two and one will hit the '3 months early' mark in October.  I already know what to expect from TU and EQ but I'll be interested to find out what EX does.  

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 18 of 20
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I still have an inquiry hanging on at Experian that was two years old on August 20th. I just updated Experian and it is still there. I wish they did a better job.

Thanks for the DP.  So it's not just me.  That means, as iv said above, that where Experian is concerned inquiry removal isn't as set in stone as people believe.  Good to know.  

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 19 of 20
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

What about a 30-day late that should fall off before the year is out? Does that help the score at all? 

No.  Inquiries after 12 months of age no longer impact your score.

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.