cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to make CC payments? First CC advice.

tag
myfavoritehue
New Contributor

When to make CC payments? First CC advice.

Just received my first statement from a new credit card and want to be sure that I am maximizing the benefit I will receive from making payments.

I have a $5,000 limit and right now my full balance is $51. The minimum payment due is $30 and I am not sure if I should:

A) pay the minimum balance to stretch out the potential benefit to my credit score

B) pay it all in full now to get the biggest benefit

C) make two separate payments in the same statement date.

I’m not worried about interest this time around because my utilization, and my balance, is so low.

Please help!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: When to make CC payments? First CC advice.

Just pay the 51.00 before your due date, pretty simple. Creditors don't really care if you pay one payment or 2 payments in a billing period . Let a small balance report and then pay it off before the due date.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 20
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Pay it off in full before the due date. Letting the balance REPORT (on the statement date) could be helpful, but no need to carry that any of that balance past the due date. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 20
myfavoritehue
New Contributor

I don't plan on using the card for a while though and am concerned about there not being any activity on the card. That's why I'm confused about whether I should leave that small balance of $21.

Also, the balance reports on the statement date, correct?

Message 4 of 20
myfavoritehue
New Contributor

I don't plan on using the card again for a while. That's why I'm asking. Its my understanding that its best for cards to be "active".

Just for clarification, when you receive your statement, your balance has already been reported, right?

Message 5 of 20
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@myfavoritehue wrote:

I don't plan on using the card again for a while. That's why I'm asking. Its my understanding that its best for cards to be "active".

Just for clarification, when you receive your statement, your balance has already been reported, right?

How long is “a while”? If we’re talking a month or two, don’t worry about it. And yes, generally the statement balance is what is reported. However, it might not be reported to the bureaus for a little while after the statement cuts. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 20
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Unless there’s a reason you need your credit scores optimized (will soon be applying for a mortgage, car loan, or other major loan), then you should just behave like a normal good credit card user:

1. Use the card for as much of your normal purchases as you can, but not more than you can afford to pay off every month. For example, if you buy coffee everyday, pay for it with your credit card instead of cash — take advantage of the interest-free grace period and whatever rewards you’re getting from the cc.
2. Wait for a statement.
3. Pay off the entire balance before the due date.
4. Rinse and repeat. The goal is to never pay interest.

If you do this, you’ll build a good credit score with time. There are many people — in fact, most people — with very high FICO scores that have never heard of AZEO or pre-paying before the statement cuts to stay below some magic number.

6-12 months later, apply for another cc (don’t apply for too many, having 3 should meet all your cc and scoring needs). You can alternate their use every month if you don’t want all of them to have a balance.
Message 7 of 20
allegra37
Valued Member

I red some threads and many ppl mention about usage of %8.9 of cc balance and some others says less than %30 for each cc. Whats the difference on these two ?

Message 8 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

8.9% is aggregate (all card balances / all card limits) and then there is higher breakpoints too.

Individual revolver utilization has breakpoints too but in my experience those vary based on profile.

End of the day smaller amounts but non-zero on one card is optimal for everyone; there’s some other small things like I choose a national bank card with a limit 25k or less but for most people that will be fine... and literally a yuppie food stamp (20 bucks) on a single card vs my absurdly large total credit portfolio is fine, though I could run my balances a lot more too but that’s my profile which is an outlier.

While I don’t quite agree with Tacpoly’s analysis when it counts (and where AZEO should absolutely be done to ruthlessly optimize your credit report and therefore score) he’s right that the fact is it doesn’t matter if lenders aren’t looking at your reports.

So just use your cards as normal and pay before the due date: the important thing is just to not run up your credit cards to where they can’t be paid off easily (living within one’s means or other names for it), that’s the route to financial bleeding and credit issues.

As long as you are paying statement balance by the due date it just doesn’t matter 99% of the time; however, I will always optimize my files when it matters, namely when I am applying for something when my scores count.

In my case it is about putting as much lipstick as possible but my mortgage scores move an entire tier getting clean and that can be the difference of .25 or .5% on a mortgage and that is too much for me to not optimize for.

        
Message 9 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@myfavoritehue wrote:

Just received my first statement from a new credit card and want to be sure that I am maximizing the benefit I will receive from making payments.

I have a $5,000 limit and right now my full balance is $51. The minimum payment due is $30 and I am not sure if I should:

A) pay the minimum balance to stretch out the potential benefit to my credit score

B) pay it all in full now to get the biggest benefit

C) make two separate payments in the same statement date.

I’m not worried about interest this time around because my utilization, and my balance, is so low.

Please help!

Just pay it in full.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.