Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which site to use for disputing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which site to use for disputing?

I pulled my 3 reports from the free annual credit report site. The website crashed on me and I managed to save one of them but you only get one shot to view everything so I can't get back in unless I pay.  I am just looking to dispute things that aren't true like inquiries and names/addresses and my car loan states discharged in  bankruptcy which it was not. It was paid in full.

I started a dispute with Experian but I still need the others.  What is the cheapest way to go about disputing? I don't want to be locked into a credit monitoring service and get charged monthly.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which site to use for disputing?

You don't have to use a site. Write dispute letters. Send them certified mail, return receipt requested CMRRR. Costs about $20 all told if disputing all 3 bureaus. Here's the FTC's suggested format for credit disputes. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0151-disputing-errors-credit-reports

P.S. in a pinch, get your other two credit reports free from creditkarma. They offer a printable version.
Message 2 of 6
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The reports from annualcreditreport are much more complete, although CK ought to do the job for most of what the OP needs to do regarding EQ and TU.

But the main issue here is the web site crash. @Anonymous didn't have the opportunity to get what he paid for. The Federal Trade Commission says that the alternative to the website is to call 1-877-322-8228. Maybe someone at that number can help him get his reports.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is mailing letters really still the best way? I was hoping to dispute online while going directly to the bank that is incorrectly reporting it. I sent one through Experian and according to CK it's not even on Equifax. It seems to be an issue with TU and EX but I will also call that number and see if they will let me back in.

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In any dispute, if you have supporting documentation or arguments, I strongly recommend filing by mail rather than using any online dispute.

When you dispute via a CRA, the CRA is required to forward a copy of your dispute along with your supporting documentation to the furnisher.

However, prior CRA practice has often resulted in the CRA not referring your supporting documentation, as it was not supported in their e-Oscar electronic dispute referrral process.  While the CFPB is clamping down on the CRA and mandating more complete referral of all supporting documents, it is still in transitiion, and results can vary.

When you file an online dispute, you normally cannot attach all supporting documentation, and are thus sanitizing your own dispute.

If you send via snail mail, you can assure that the CRA gets all documentation and arguments, and hopefully refers all to the furnisher.

If you really wish to ensure that the furnisher receives any and all documentation and arguments, you can bypass any possible CRA santitation of your dispute by filing your dispute directly with the furnisher.

The FCRA provides an alternate dispute process, referred to as a "direct dispute" under FCRA 623(a)(8) and the implenting regulations of the direct dispute process, found at 16 CFR 660.4 et seq.

You can file either a direct dispute or a dispute via the CRA.  You cannot use one and then the other for disputing substantially the same information.  A dispute that is substantially the same as any prior dispute can be dismissed as frivolous or irrelevant without any need for investigation, which includes the subsequent filing of a direct dispute after completion of a dispute via the CRA.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So in short, I messed up by already submitting the disputes?  I actually attempted cleaning this up a few months back but the bank wanted everything faxed that is reporting wrong and would never get the faxes. So I went this route instead. I guess I have to wait 30+ days for these to close and then start over?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.