cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You have a consumer finance account on your credit report.

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

You have a consumer finance account on your credit report.

Just got a 3 bureau report and saw this as a nagative reason  on one of the scores (mortgage version I think). The only non-cc non-mortage/auto/student loan stuff I see is from Dell Financial Services.   Is that a consumer finance account?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: You have a consumer finance account on your credit report.

@longtimelurker wrote:

Just got a 3 bureau report and saw this as a nagative reason  on one of the scores (mortgage version I think). The only non-cc non-mortage/auto/student loan stuff I see is from Dell Financial Services.   Is that a consumer finance account?

I think they throw that reason just because they want to put something negative if you're not at 850.  I have that in one of my reports and I have no accounts that I think are consumer finance.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I googled Dell Financial Services and they certainly sound like a finance company.  And there's a number of places (here on the Forum and elsewhere) that suggest that some or all FICO models view the presence of a finance company account as something can harm your score (though by how much is unclear)

Is your DFS account open or closed?  If closed, when did it close?

Message 3 of 14
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

DFS is WebBank.  I don't think of that as a finance company.  Dell Financial Services is the front name.

I have one of their accounts that I IIB'd.  I have never gotten that FICO reason, but maybe they haven't had to get down that far since I have a BK, lates, and lots of new accounts!

But Dell is no more a finance company than Comenity store cards or Barclay's Apple card.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The link that jumped out at the top when I googled DFS was this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=4816323

It describes it as a company that provides financing solutions, typically via revolving and installment loans.  (But it's not a bank.)  It sounds a lot like what finance companies do who provide financing to people who want to buy furniture at Rooms To Go or big screen TVs at Best Buy. 

They don't sound like incredibly predatory loan sharks, but it sounds a bit to me like the same sort of consumers might use them.  I.e... I see a shiny computer (TV, etc.), I don't have the money to buy it, so I take out a loan from a company that advertises right at the store.

I'm basing it also what the OP told us.  He's received a message stating unequivocably that "You have a consumer finance account on your credit report."  He's looked over his report carefully and the only possible thing it could even remotely be is Dell Financial Services, the company that provides financing for shiny new Dells (just like there are companies that do that for Best Buy and RTG and so on).

I am not saying I don't like DFS, or that they are bad, or that people who get loans from them are bad.  I am just using Ockham's Razor.  The simplest explanation is that the OP is right and that somehow DFS is being tagged by FICO, when it appears on a consumer's report, as a consumer finance company.  I am probably overcautious, but it's because of this kind of thing that I always arrange my financing through a full blown bank or major credit card.  Because I don't know how other kinds of entities will be viewed.

Curiously, Revelate posted an interesting link earlier today on a different thread that described how insurance companies go out of their way to ding you in their own internal credit scoring systems for things like having finance companies on your report, and even more reputable things like store cards.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have that on most of my score versions. It's my Lending Club loan.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Followup: Lending Club is also WebBank, so Fico definitely considers them a consumer finance company.

Message 7 of 14
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

IF it shows on your reports as DFS, FICO will "pick up" the "Financial" part, and tag it. But it it reports on your reports as WebBank, Then I believe FICO sees "bank" instead, and doesn't tag it. My guess is it shows DFS on your reports...am I correct in this assumption??  Or maybe FICO has tagged Webbank...??

Message 8 of 14
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

IF it shows on your reports as DFS, FICO will "pick up" the "Financial" part, and tag it. But it it reports on your reports as WebBank, Then I believe FICO sees "bank" instead, and doesn't tag it. My guess is it shows DFS on your reports...am I correct in this assumption??  Or maybe FICO has tagged Webbank...??

I'm not sure on this one, because Discover, for example, reports as "Discover Financial Services", but they are most definitely a bank. Therefore I wouldn't think FICO would ding you based off of the wording "financial" , but maybe I am wrong - I'm not a FICO algorithm programmer lol

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 9 of 14
nycplayboy78
Regular Contributor

I too had a Lending Club loan that I paid off in 7 months but why is that a NEGATIVE ITEM on one's credit report. CAPTOOL it is always good to see you...Another one of my creditsoulmate buddies...HAHAHAHA Smiley Happy

EX08 801 EQ08 812 TU08 805 Total Credit Line: $100K+
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.