Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calculation for payment history?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: calculation for payment history?

Not exaclty an accurate comparison IMO, you don't accidently forget that you're not sleeping next to your SO. Being unfailfull is a willfull act on someone's part, not a lapse of memory due to being busy or simply forgetfull. Or for even having a rough patch.

However, I do understand lenders being cautious for those reasons. But at the end of the day they were paid, and likely raked in late fees too so they're out nothing really. It could have gone much worse with them never being paid at all. And sometimes that's how it feels those who have a few lates are being treated.

Message 11 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not exaclty an accurate comparison IMO, you don't accidently forget that you're not sleeping next to your SO. Being unfailfull is a willfull act on someone's part, not a lapse of memory due to being busy or simply forgetfull. Or for even having a rough patch.

However, I do understand lenders being cautious for those reasons. But at the end of the day they were paid, and likely raked in late fees too so they're out nothing really. It could have gone much worse with them never being paid at all. And sometimes that's how it feels those who have a few lates are being treated.

Actually,  it's very accurate, but you're taking it literally. 

There is no field in Metro 2 for "I forgot", "Too many accounts", "Having hard time"

Missed payment is missed payment. 

Late is always taken as sign of financial distress. Lenders do not investigate your personal life to see how busy you are and how likely it is you will be late because you have other thing to worry about. 

In a way, forgetting indicates lower level of responsibility.  It's like forgetting to pick up your kid from daycare.

You might think you're the best parent ever, but you just forgot your kid

As far as "having a rough patch", we're supposed to account for rough patches 

Instead of savings, people opt for cars they cannot afford, houses they cannot afford, every trinket known to mankind. 

No one wants to hear it, but for a lot of people, these are self inflicted wounds. 

15 years ago I had several strings if lates simply because I either ran out of checks, stamps, or forgot to mail it.

Money was always there, I was not in financial distress, but I wasnt responsible. 

I didnt take care of my obligations in timely manner, and I paid dearly for it. 

Message 12 of 13
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For instance how many lates throw you into certain thresholds of points

In the broadest terms the break point is no late payments and having a late payment. The "fluff" in CMS gives you a percentage but to the best of my knowledge you can't "dilute" a late payment with on time payments as far as scoring models go.

I never understood why it doesn't count. I have 500 good payments on my open accounts, but lenders are focused on 7 lates 4 years ago. 4 years and 500 payments later they think I might be a lending risk still? 🤦‍♂️

Easiest explanation 

Be unfaithful,  then explain to your wife/GF/whomever how you were faithful 99% of time. 

Pretty good way of putting it because when you get credit you are establishing a relationship with that creditor and if you don't keep up your end you will reap the repercusions.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.