Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit report wrong DOB

tag
justanotherquestion
Contributor

credit report wrong DOB

after being denied for a card today i pulled new 3B reports and noticed my DOB is correct  on the reports and i have several charge off accounts under a different DOB after contacting the listed companies, who stated the SSN is correct but the DOB is wrong. Is there any recourse i have to remove these negative accounts? if so, please advise how to go about this.

thank you.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: credit report wrong DOB

I would have the mods move your post to the rebuilding section to get better answers as this is for credit card apps , I do know my fiancé had the same thing with his bc someone stole his ID and opened accts in his name but used a diff DOB , you can start by doing online disputes of all the incorrect information on your reports, it will give you a list of reasons why you are disputing and if these accounts are not yours you will choose , not my account, no knowledge of this account and you can write in the comments sections that you did not open that account
Message 2 of 11
justanotherquestion
Contributor

Can a mod move this to rebuild?
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If these accounts are yours...you are responsible for them. If the CRA has your incorrect DOB, they will ask to call a number provided when you dispute and may ask you to fax your birth certificate, DL and/or passport

Message 4 of 11
justanotherquestion
Contributor

They are not mine i have disputed numerous times and never realized my dob is incorrect vs what the creditors say. I had fraud alerts placed when i first got word of the defaults
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@justanotherquestion wrote:

after being denied for a card today i pulled new 3B reports and noticed my DOB is correct  on the reports and i have several charge off accounts under a different DOB after contacting the listed companies, who stated the SSN is correct but the DOB is wrong. Is there any recourse i have to remove these negative accounts? if so, please advise how to go about this.

thank you.

If you have negative accounts with inaccurate information, you can most likely get those accounts removed. Under the FCRA, any items on the credit report that have inaccurate information must be deleted by law. Simply send in a dispute by mail stating the birth date on those accounts is incorrect, and you would like them removed due to inaccurate information. Hope this helps!

Message 6 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Go to the General Credit forum and read the identity theft thread that is pinned at the top

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 7 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Moving to 'General Credit' for additional feedback...

Message 8 of 11
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Do you have the same or similiar name with anyone in your family?  If you do make sure the name  you are using to apply for credit ID's you uniquely. Alos update your creditors with the correct information so when they report to bureaus your credit goes under your name. I would dispute that incorrect social security number. You will need to provide a copy of your SSN card and a copy of your driver's license to ID your self.  You probably will have to identiify the accounts that are yours.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 9 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA does not require any accounts reporting inaccurate information be deleted.

If provides a dispute process in which, if the disputed information cannot be either verified as accurate or corrected, the specific item of information must be corrected or deleted as unverified.

An inaccurate individual item does not, even if unverified in a dispute, mandate deletion of other accurate information or the entire account under which it is reported.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.