Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit score declining as loan balances decline

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit score declining as loan balances decline

i have a mortgage loan and an auto loan through the same bank. they report the auto loan as mortgage. so there are two mortgages being reported. i checked my EQ score today to find out that it declined by 6 points since last month. every thing is paid on time. an alert says that one collection account changed from balance N/a to N/a. the balnce is paid off anyway. then it shows that my bank hasn't reported for march yet. any one have a guess as to why myEQ score is declining? no new accounts or inquiries. only thing new is balances are lower. getting score from EQ site always. EQ's scoring system is no good! husband has 30 points on me with no new credit since 03 and unpaid charge offs(3) and collections(3) and also a repo from 04.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: credit score declining as loan balances decline

Did you recently dispute something (or this CA) on EQ? Or did you talk to or correspond with this CA?

The CA in question updated and that impacted your score. Look at the reported date or updated date. You'll see that it updated for March 2009.

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Did you recently dispute something (or this CA) on EQ? Or did you talk to or correspond with this CA?

The CA in question updated and that impacted your score. Look at the reported date or updated date. You'll see that it updated for March 2009.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'll actually check the report again to see if they are up to date in reporting. should they report the balance as $0 or does it matter that they report it as N/a? also, i haven't had any contact with them recently. thanks so much for replying. i've been waiting for help with a few questions i had and you arethe first to start helping. thank you!!! i'll get back with the report date of the collection account. ")
Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If reporting "N/A" now, you wouldn't want it to report $0. It'll change that date and drop your scores, which I suspected it did already. There's no score difference between a paid or unpaid collection. BTW, if non-medical, you could send them a GW and ask for removal. That could give you a decent score increase.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

man, you know your stuff huh? you are right. all previous months the account hasn't been reported since 4/2008 and they reported in march 09! don't know why they did but they suck! it's not a medical either just a department store card. thanks for the help!!!!!
Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

No problem. While a dispute, a letter, a phone call, a DV, a PFD, or even a GW letter can trigger this, some dormant OCs/CAs update for no reason at all. Sorry that happened. Point loss could have been much worse, though.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.