Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit utilization?

tag
creditchick
Established Member

credit utilization?

I know it is not recommended to keep your credit utilization at 0% so what percentage do you all reccomend? I have a clean credit history, no late payments, missed payments, collections, closed cards etc. I'd like to raise my score. The last score I pulled was 742. I have about seven years worth of credit history due to my age.

3/3 - 670 Transunion
4/26 - 686 Equifax

3/4/12 - 736 Transunion
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: credit utilization?

I would let one CC report a few percent of the CL for that CC, and all others report $0.

Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@user5387 wrote:

I would let one CC report a few percent of the CL for that CC, and all others report $0.

+1

The ideal or optimal percentage range can be anywhere from 1%-10%.  Then, rotate as appropriate for mix.

Message 3 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

You'd have to test to find your ideal % but it's probably somewhere in the 1-10% range mentioned above.

Message 4 of 9
megaman1
Regular Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

You'd have to test to find your ideal % but it's probably somewhere in the 1-10% range mentioned above.

How can we find what our ideal util % is if our credit scores are constantly lowered by inquiries, etc? Just curious.

Message 5 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@megaman1 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

How can we find what our ideal util % is if our credit scores are constantly lowered by inquiries, etc? Just curious.

Stop apping, allow your CR's to rest a bit then okay around with your util.  

Message 6 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@megaman1 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

Your credit score is NOT affected by consumer inquiries for credit scores. In other words, when you check your scores here, it is not a inquiry that counts against you. The inquiries that do affect your score are those that are for additional credit (cc apps and loan apps).

Message 7 of 9
raijin23

@FinStar wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

+1

The ideal or optimal percentage range can be anywhere from 1%-10%.  Then, rotate as appropriate for mix.

Is that 1-10% number referring specifically to one credit card's limit or your total credit limit. For example let's say I have a Cap1 card with a 1k limit, but my total credit limit is 10k over 5 cards. Does that mean I should only spend $10-90 on the Cap1 card and let all other cards report a balance of $0?

Message 8 of 9
user9582673

@raijin23 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

+1

Is that 1-10% number referring specifically to one credit card's limit or your total credit limit. For example let's say I have a Cap1 card with a 1k limit, but my total credit limit is 10k over 5 cards. Does that mean I should only spend $10-90 on the Cap1 card and let all other cards report a balance of $0?

Your total limit. All cards at 0 except Cap1 at $90 would be rounded up to 1% util for your example

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.